Thingamabobbin

brandon4455
brandon4455
Had to come up with a cool title that described nymphing with a thingamabobber :lol:

sotoday me and berg03 fished one of my favorite rivers i have fished several times this year and have had excellent results each time, but i was getting bored of the same thing, so we decided to fish wayy up river above an area me and spydeyrch had fished early spring after having fished the lower section a little bit. then we p[acked up and hiked about a mile. as we worked upriver we noticed tons of different large bugs flying around and hatching, several Large october caddis, some size 10 mayflies that were a light brown color ( idk what they were :lol:) smaller tan and brown caddis and some very large dark brown/black stoneflies. did not see any fish rise but that is regular for this section of river, it is much like the metolius as some people describe, fish are smart and wary and it's a very humbling river. this small coast range river is crystal clear, small and it is a challenge to land the cutthroat that inhabit these waters but just the scenery of the area and dropping a line in the cold fast flowing water is enough for me any day . i managed to hook 3 fish in this section and missed a total of 6 strikes, none landed . but,before we fished that tough,beautiful upper section we both managed two fish each, all caught on nymphs in the lower area we usually fish on the gravel road.. hot flies were possie buggers,black ice prince (my creation), october and green caddis pupa, and various small attractors. i lost a lot of flies today..indcators not as much but i will be spending a lot of my money at the fly shop in maupin in a few weeks.... :lol:

• 100711121153.jpg
  • 100711144114.jpg
  • 100711123125.jpg
  • 100711100125.jpg
  • thingamacutter.jpg
  • 100711103222.jpg
  • 100711134004.jpg
Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
very nice Brandon....while I am in a 40 degree freezer raking peppers and corn your out fishin.....good job guys

brandon4455
brandon4455
lilsalmon said:
very nice Brandon....while I am in a 40 degree freezer raking peppers and corn your out fishin.....good job guys

you will b fishing in no time rose, you guys got that trip next week right? seeya in a few weeks :D big d here we come!

S
steelhead_slayer
do you like those thingamabobbers? i tried them for a while but i got a lot less strikes, and it was harder to detect strikes. sometimes i would check with randomly set and have a fish on

S
Sinkline
Good stuff Brandon!

Randy

M
mezzfin
Loving the small stream action!

B
Berg03
Was great country up stream, much harder to fish as the they spooked very easily. But it was a good few hours of fishing! :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
steelhead_slayer said:
do you like those thingamabobbers? i tried them for a while but i got a lot less strikes, and it was harder to detect strikes. sometimes i would check with randomly set and have a fish on

i love them, my favorite without a doubt. they float high and detect strikes just fine for me.

S
steelhead_slayer
yeah i did like how good they floated. nice work on those pretty fish

F
FlyBum
Those bigger brown mayflies were most likely Brown Drakes. Good report :)

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Way to go after 'em, guys!

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks everyone it was fun, gunna go back out there the last week of the season hoping for some more numbers. thanks for the bug identification flybum