Beginning to think I'm just cheating...

C
ChezJfrey
Swung flies...and missed. Drifted corkies...and missed. Got a call about 15 minutes before I had to leave, so chatted with a fishing buddy for awhile while I walked back up the river to the start. Hung up and thought to myself, "I hate to do it, but I gotta resort to the apparently the only thing I really seem to have completely dialed...that drat spoon." You know that, "one last cast," before you leave? Sometimes it works.

Cast out, slack, slack, drift...starts to swing, lower rod, swings nearly to the bank and almost settled into the rocks, then boom! A grab and go! The fish nabbed it, turned and ran like hell with several aerials while rocketing down river. Brought it in close 3 times and each time, another run of the drag. When I finally beached it, I was shocked at what? Maybe 25 inches? Thing was like a Tasmanian Devil in the water. Since I was out of time, and though the fish was pretty bright, debated tagging it, but changed my mind and decided it had fought so stoutly, what the heck...I released her for such a staunch effort. We both might just meet again...but maybe without my spoon crutch :)

2014-09-20_09-54-09_866.jpg

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You, sir, are a true sportsman! Hats off to you...:hi:

E
eugene1
Spoon man!

Looks like maybe an unclipped one?

Best,

C
ChezJfrey
eugene1 said:
Spoon man!

Looks like maybe an unclipped one?

Best,

No, it was completely smooth...looks like the rocks behind create an illusion of fin. Also max clipped.

E
eugene1
Ahh, Gotcha!

Anyway, I say embrace your forte and ditch the fly rod!