Salmon River salmon runs

W
wozniasm
A friend is interested in going to the Salmon River near Zigzag to take pictures of salmon migrating up. He indicated he was there last year at the end of October and saw many carcases so he asked me to see if anyone knows the best time to get there.

Also, if there's any other rivers that would meet the same criteria (Mt. Hood area) would be appreciated.

E
eggs
Salmon River is a solid one. You could also venture up the ZigZag or upper Sandy off Lolo pass.. but 70% of spawning salmon/steelhead go up the Salmon river in the Sandy watershed.

W
wozniasm
eggs said:
Salmon River is a solid one. You could also venture up the ZigZag or upper Sandy off Lolo pass.. but 70% of spawning salmon/steelhead go up the Salmon river in the Sandy watershed.

Any directions or specific locations on the Sandy?

W
wozniasm
eggs said:
S70% of spawning salmon/steelhead go up the Salmon river in the Sandy watershed.

Eggs: Any timeline like late September, early October?

troutdude
troutdude
I'd doubt that there are any Salmon that far upstream just yet. The fall nooks have only just begun to run, and the Coho will be on their heels. But, the Sandy might be different, as those fish come up the Big C and right into the Sandy.

However, they are waiting for the river level to rise and water temps cool; before they make their dash to the upper stretches. So, waiting for more rain and cooler temps is probably the best approach.

E
eggs
i would say you would want to wait until late Oct. and 2 or 3 decent rain events to push them up to see them in any numbers up on the upper reaches... Salmon River road follows the river for a good while... the old gravel pit on the Salmon river at Miller road right off 26 might be decent.. as for upper Sandy it would mostly be by foot trail off Lolo pass and there is a trail that follows the ZigZag river next to 26.

ohh and there is always the viewing window at Wildwood that is dug into the Salmon river that lets you look directly into the river to see fish.

T
tnffishman
My mom and aunt were on the Salmon River near Welches and saw quite a few fish going up. They got some pretty cool video

R
RunWithSasquatch
tnffishman said:
They got some pretty cool video

Feel free to share that...

W
wozniasm
Thanks for all the good info!

Reactions: eggs
B
brooksbright
heading to salmon river tomorrow anyone have suggestions for what lb. test to use? Im running 12 right now and figure if I dont try to horse em in I'll be ok....Never caught fall nooks before

troutdude
troutdude
I've caught several 40+ Nooks on 10 lb. mono. Just keep your drag light, have plenty of line, and play 'em out.

J
JB WI
I don't think it is open for salmon or steelhead??? I could be wrong. I saw bout 10 in the river at wildwood 2 weeks ago.Pretty worn out.Still very cool.

B
brooksbright
Thanks ya thats what I figured...at JB WI Im pretty sure Its open I keep talkin to friends who go there and have been catching like crazy

J
JB WI
From the odfw online regs under the sandy river:
2. Mainstem and tributaries upstream
from ODFW markers at the mouth of
Salmon River, including the Salmon
River
• Open to steelhead July 1-Aug. 31.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures with a single point hook no larger than 1/2
inch gap (size 1) and multiple point hook no larger than 3/8 inch gap (size 4).
• No limit on size or number of brook trout taken. Catch limits on other trout species do
not apply to brook trout.

Reactions: eggs
E
eggs
Yea it if for sure closed.. please don't kill the handful of native salmon and steelhead in the salmon river..

I hope anyone catching those ESA listed fish up there in closed waters get caught and have their asses handed to them.. "I didn't know" isn't an excuse everyone can and needs to read the regs online or in the book on the counter of wherever you bought your permit.

Last edited:
M
markasd
All those salmon up there are springers. Been in the river a while now - known as boots! Ya - leave em be, there are too many other fresh fish to be had.

If your in it to watch spawners and just check out spawning fish - all over the upper reaches now. Just look for the "skunk" fish!

P
plumb2fish
troutdude said:
I've caught several 40+ Nooks on 10 lb. mono. Just keep your drag light, have plenty of line, and play 'em out.
Man, I'd love to be able to say I've caught several 40lb nooks on anything let alone 10lb leader....just saying

B
brooksbright
must not be talkin about the same salmon river Otis Oregon....Its open to fall chinook. Went yesterday and saw about ten or so Chrome fish caught "hatchery". Sure is combat fishing on every hole on the river to be closed season

B
brooksbright
Ya just went on google maps and there two salmon rivers in oregon I guess...the one Im talkin about is right by lincoln city on the coast and it is HOT right now!!!