Ocean salmon coming to a close off Astoria after Sunday

Irishrover
Irishrover
It was a banner year in the ocean for salmon this year. It all comes to a close after this Sunday September 21st. In years past we used to troll for salmon south of the CR buoy. This year I only went that way once. The fishing was red hot off the Longbeach Peninsula so we sent most of our time up there chasing both chinook and coho. Just about every thing worked hoochies were my favorite, but folks hooked up on anchovies and herring too. My last trip out was on Tuesday and it was a nice smooth ocean that gave us limits of coho in short order. Yesterday it was a river day due to large ocean swell and bad tide timing. That was ok because the river gave us a lot of action and more coho. Right now that is all you can keep down here chinook are off limits in the river from buoy 10 to warrior rock. Looks like a nice day out there time to go fishing!

C_Run
C_Run
How do you rig hoochies? With a dodger? I've got some I intended to try this year, maybe pink for the coho.

Irishrover
Irishrover
What I've done this year is at the main line I put a deep six diver, right to it I clip a flasher like a big Al's, I tie the hoochie on a 5 foot leader to the flasher. It works pretty slick.

• 1405878868739.jpg
C_Run
C_Run
Irishrover said:
What I've done this year is at the main line I put a deep six diver, right to it I clip a flasher like a big Al's, I tie the hoochie on a 5 foot leader to the flasher. It works pretty slick.

Thanks , man. I have all the stuff to do that and I might try that in the bays from my kayak pretty soon. The picture sure helps.

C

Irishrover
Irishrover
What I forgot to mention and this is important, is to put a bead on the line above the top hook. That bead stops the hoochie from eventually sliding over the top of the hook. I use the same set up down here in the river so I'm sure it should work in the bays.