Help please...Alsea bank fishing spots? Tips for a rook?

T
troutstalker
Hey OFFers,
I’m reaching out as a rookie angler. Up until recently, the last time I had caught anything over 6 inches was when I was 12. I’m now 26 and have been hooked on fishing since July. I finally caught fire with some good fighting trout on Saturday evening at St. Louis ponds where I caught and released 5 good size stockers and kept one big boy at a few pounds and fourteen inches long. It felt great but I need a better fight. I bought the bullet and bought my combined angling tag in hopes of landing one of these privileged wild coho or even a nice nookie this year. My problem is I’m in most regards restricted to bank fishing and after about a hundred dollars in gas down the drain scouting tidewater in the siletz and nestucca bays so far, as well as having little to no luck getting bites at the salmon river fishing for nooks I’m hoping someone can help. I have used bobber and roe, spin n glos and corky’s, and a couple spinners but have yet to get any interest from a fish other then the bullheads or whatever they are and some salmon smolt. I’m planning to go to the alsea and fish between alsea and the mouth and if anyone has any good info. on some decent bank opportunities as well as colors or brands of lures or types of bait that can give me a good starting point I would greatly appreciate it! Being a rook, I am still learning brands and styles of lures and what colors are effective for different fish and even types of rigging. Again any help and advice is greatly appreciated but worst case scenario, I’ll beat the brush again and scout the alsea the hard way but hopefully I can spend more of that time with a line in the water. Thanks.

R
RunWithSasquatch
When the salmon are in the fresh water, anytime you drive down the Alsea, and there is an oddly shapped pile of cars and trucks... thats a fishing hole.

All of the normal gear works, salmon iz, salmon do.

There is no miracle lure or bait, or technique. They all work, its when you use them that counts. Alsea is typically deep rock slots, that offer good point of attack with bobber fishing from the bank.

5 Rivers is the deadline.

Reactions: mezzfin
C_Run
C_Run
Yep. Like ,most rivers with a highway next to it, just look for the wide pull-offs with a well worn trail down to the river. There's going to be a fishing hole there.

M
markasd
When you get to a known fishing spot, get to the water and start fishing - just start fishing with what you know. Watch and talk to folks, people are pretty helpful when you get down to it and are balls-deep in it!
Good luck. Reminds me of when I started chasing fish... so exciting!

troutdude
troutdude
If you click on this forum link: you will find many threads all about the Alsea. You should be able to quickly learn about some places to go, and gear to use.

BTW, isn't the Salmon River closed to Nook fishing?

Incidentally, I think that the Tillamook Bay Basin would be a closer drive; then going to the Alsea (from Keizer). And there's several rivers over there to fish.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Salmon River is one a day. I believe.

T
troutstalker
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. A lot to keep in mind and process. Should be hitting one of the coastal rivers Thursday so hopefully the rains will start em up the rivers a little more by then. Yeah salmon r. Is definitely open for book, no coho though and there's a lot of fish by the 101 bridge but the seals were in the area last week and the only catches guys were getting had to go back because they were foul hooked. Either way its a pretty good trip out there from Salem and I'm just looking to maximize chances and minimize cost.ie gas lol. The alsea looks like it has some of the most waterfront spots along it and a guy was saying on outdoor gps, he caught almost a full river limit on trout n salmon in the stretch between tidewater and alsea town just this week