Travel and lodging?

V
viper0463
If I were to get a flight to Portland area next year, when would be a good time to come for steelhead? I'm looking between april to june for 2 weeks. Also where is a good and cheap place to stay that's close to fishing areas as I won't have a vehicle? Thanks

V
viper0463
Another question, if any of you have time when I do come out to show me the ropes of west coast steelheading that would be awesome. I will be bringing my own gear. I think I should have everything I would need.

E
eugene1
I would get a car so you can go to different rivers. Some times river X is blown out/too low/etc. but river Y is perfect.

Best,

V
viper0463
The problem with that is I lost my drivers license because of a no insurance accident. I won't have my license back till early 2016. I suppose I could wait till then and just drive out there.

D
DrTheopolis
I suppose around late-May to June, you could conceivably stay in the Oregon City area, and the bus would give you access to the Clackamas, which doesn't blow out too often that time of year.

Or rent/borrow a bicycle to get around the lower river (and you can take a bike on the bus as well). You can get parts of the Sandy by bus, as well.

E
eugene1
Yeah I guess Ptown metro rivers would be the way to go with no car.

Be a shame to fish OR steel for two weeks and not try the Umpqua though!

Viper, maybe come out with a buddy who can drive?

DrTheopolis said:
I suppose around late-May to June, you could conceivably stay in the Oregon City area, and the bus would give you access to the Clackamas, which doesn't blow out too often that time of year.

Or rent/borrow a bicycle to get around the lower river (and you can take a bike on the bus as well). You can get parts of the Sandy by bus, as well.

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:

I usually like Oregon City area of the Clack in March/early April...though it sucked for me this year as compared to last year. But, that is the problem...it blew out many days during that time-frame in 2014 as opposed to near perfect conditions in 2013. I think May can be decent in Oregon City and like you say, less likely the river will be out of shape.

Given no car, I might aim for May, in Oregon City, keep your fingers crossed for good conditions, and you have a decent shot at steelhead in the lower Clack within walking distance.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Come in February and bring a tent and mr buddy heater. Hitch a ride from someone here to the Siuslaw and put up your tent at Whittaker creek. Walk up and down the river a mile or so and catch steelhead. :D

V
viper0463
steelhead_stalkers said:
Come in February and bring a tent and mr buddy heater. Hitch a ride from someone here to the Siuslaw and put up your tent at Whittaker creek. Walk up and down the river a mile or so and catch steelhead. :D

What kind of temps is it in February? Around here February is usually 32° and below. I'm a hearty guy but not enough to sleep outdoors in below freezing weather. The best I could do would be low 40's. I could deal with that.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
viper0463 said:
What kind of temps is it in February? Around here February is usually 32° and below. I'm a hearty guy but not enough to sleep outdoors in below freezing weather. The best I could do would be low 40's. I could deal with that.
We had a lot of snow last February...:sad:

S
steelhead_stalkers
40's most of the time but it can get cold on occasion. February has some of the best steelhead fishing Oregon has to offer though.

D
DrTheopolis
February also has some unpredictable weather, so making a cross country trip to river fish could end up being a huge bust (but it is a great fishing month, but can get blown out for the whole month).

The April-June timeline is much less of a gamble.