Bass fishing locations: Portland Metro area

B
bballben
I am also interested in in southern Washington but I prefer portland. So where are the best bass fishing spots? Both LM and SM (I prefer LM). I am also a beginner fisherman and can only use spinnerbaits, live baits, and possibly crankbaits.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum! I don't have the answer for you since I don't live up there anymore. Did you check out the archives in the bass forum? There are quite a few informative threads you can check.

bass
bass
The Willamette and the Columbia are both loaded with smallmouth. Fish rocky shore areas with a spinnerbait, minnow plug, crankbait, live bait etc. Especially look for areas with something that is a bit different than the surrounding area (bigger rocks, eddy, log, etc). Not as many largemouth up around Portland. I see reports of them being caught in Blue lake. Also, I sometimes catch them in backwaters on the Willamette. However, I probably catch a hundred smallmouth for every largemouth.

Best of luck!

B
bballben
I've passed by blue lake, benson lake, and bybee lake, (I think that's what their called) when driving east on I-84, those three do look like lakes that house bass. I'll be sure to try those someday.

H
handmethewrench
i like the Multnomah channel for smallies, you may get a Pike Minnow but they fight good as well

B
bballben
I forgot to mention that i am going to bank fish and take out a float.