How long does cured roe last?

L
lizardman
So I am currious if I need to go buy/order more roe or if I can use what I have in the refridgerator (it has been there since almost this time in 2012 as I was out of work from August to December 2012 and was fishing a lot).

I want to get back into the swing of fishing as I think me working a five day week instead of the four day week is taking its toll on my morale, and I just need to make time to go fishing.

Dave

T
troutmasta
If it was sealed and frozen youre borderline golden, Just sitting in a jar in the fridge....prolly get some new ones.

L
lizardman
That is what I was affraid of... I might try it this weekend, but I see an order being placed for some roe that works (the stuff sold in the stores around here is a generic cure and is a waste of money) until I can catch a nice hen and cure my own. :)

troutdude
troutdude
If your current supply has gone bad; you might try plunkin' it for some catfeesh!

L
lizardman
troutdude said:
If your current supply has gone bad; you might try plunkin' it for some catfeesh!

funny you mention that as the last time I was able to go out I was nailing the salmon with roe under a bobber and the guy next to me nailes a 29 inch flat head cat (which came home with me).

What I hate is when you go bobber down, go to set the hook and there is nothing there (not even your bait) as the darned griebs have been getting free lunch.

O
OnTheDrop
I brought a lot of cured eggs home from Alaska designed specifically for Fall Chinook within 12 miles of Salt water.... I could part a quart or 2 for 25$ each if it comes down to it... They will catch fish for sure if you're thinking of coastal fishing.

Last edited:
L
lizardman
SteelmonKiller20 said:
I brought a lot of cured eggs designed specifically for Fall Chinook within 12 miles of Salt water.... I could part a quart or 2 for 25$ each if it comes down to it... They will catch fish for sure if you're thinking of coastal fishing.

I appreciate the offer, but I am over on the eastern side of the state. We fish the Umatilla River or from the John Day River to the Oregon, WA border(if you were to drive east and hit that border).

O
OnTheDrop
Ahh gotcha. You want some HOT eggs for over there...

L
lizardman
That and with some calcium and amino acids added as talking to one of the biologists I discovered a few years ago during the spring run that it takes about 10 days for a fish to get here from the mouth of the Columbia.