Fall fishing

F
FlyinHayn92
Hey all. With weather changing and temp dropping, any pointers on bass fishing as well as maybe changing up and switching to trout fishing? Im only bank fishing and have only fished St. Louis Ponds and Wirth Lake. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Im new to freshwater fishing but my kids love it, so I want to keep it going all year. Mahalo Nui Loa! (Thank You Very Much)

F
fish face
I personally think that fall fishing is the best time to go. 1) you don't have to compete with jet skiers, wind surfers, ect. 2) Depending where you go the fishing is easier because the fish become more concentrated. 3) the fish get hungry.

knowing that you have kids, I recommend Detroit Lake (50 miles east of Salem). No Bass but lots and lots of planter trout to keep the kids attention. In October the water level is very low, so I would have to hike DOWN, in the mud, where the log boom is located (not far from the dam). Again with kids, I would use power bait and use some sort of sent like Mikes shrimp. Caution--it is vey easy to get snags off the bottom of the lake plus you still have to hike up. But you should catch you limit in no time.

Have fun!!!

Reactions: Troutski
F
FlyinHayn92
fish face said:
I personally think that fall fishing is the best time to go. 1) you don't have to compete with jet skiers, wind surfers, ect. 2) Depending where you go the fishing is easier because the fish become more concentrated. 3) the fish get hungry.

knowing that you have kids, I recommend Detroit Lake (50 miles east of Salem). No Bass but lots and lots of planter trout to keep the kids attention. In October the water level is very low, so I would have to hike DOWN, in the mud, where the log boom is located (not far from the dam). Again with kids, I would use power bait and use some sort of sent like Mikes shrimp. Caution--it is vey easy to get snags off the bottom of the lake plus you still have to hike up. But you should catch you limit in no time.

Have fun!!!

Hey thanks fish face. I'll keep that in mind. I heard fishing off the dam isn't too bad neither. I only went to Detroit Lake once in July and to be honest it wasn't that great. Then again we were at one of the recreation areas too so swimmers, boats, and jet skiers. So hopefully I'll give it a try. Aloha

F
fish face
Hey, not a problem.

Detroit lake have been a pleasure lake to thousands of people a year. But if you are like me, you like to fish with a little more peace and quiet.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Give Walling Pond a try for bass and trout. Go to McGilcrest(sp?) St. off 25th and Mission (by Kmart) and turn right. It's on 16th, doesn't look like much of a fishing spot and I'm not sure I would take kids, but it does produce most of the time. Go to the far end to the trees and try your luck for bass, I've heard there are some fatty's in there. Also, have you crossed the bridge at Walter Wirth? There appears to be some fishy water over there, though I haven't given it a try yet. You can stop by Big Cliff Dam also, a few miles this side of Detroit Dam. There are some very decent trout and whitefish in there.