Deer starts Saturday!

A
alseaalumaweld
line um up and lay them down!

P
psguardian
My party is heading out sunday night, going all week long. What unit are you hunting?

~psguardian

A
alseaalumaweld
oregon coast

P
psguardian
I'll be in saddle mountain, i've been skunked & taunted 5yrs running, so this is the year!

~psguardian

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
:) N Alsea

R
RunWithSasquatch
Legal dies, I got chinook tag spots to fill.

A
alseaalumaweld
skunked those tags can't taste good! frist 2 days and last 3 are only time worth hunting

C
capblack
alseaalumaweld said:
frist 2 days and last 3 are only time worth hunting

i disagree, where i hunt the first and last weekend are the only weekends most guys hunt. ill take everthing in between, and have most spots to myself. Brian

R
RunWithSasquatch
I smell a big buck contest brewin...

A
alseaalumaweld
guess everone has there idea. i can go rite behind everone and get a big buck. all about spoting

J
JohnOD
I'm hunting the Hood unit. Going to fish this weekend and get after the deer the last five days of season. Good luck to all & remember... "when there's lead in the air there's hope in the heart"

C
capblack
i agree, most of the guys i see hunting dont hardly get out of the driver seat. ive killed bucks with guys in the woods, but like fishing, i prefer to be alone while im out there. i dont need a big buck, the forked horns ive been taking are mighty tasty!!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Jake knows about Forken Horns...

C
capblack
i have a pile of forky antlers. thats all ive ever shot, and ive got probably 6 or 7. i dont think its very wise to pass up a forked horn in western oregon, or at least not the santiam unit.

A
alseaalumaweld
i think you get double the meat off a mature deer then a 2or 3 year old small buck. and ageign in cooler makes them all taste good.

C
capblack
it probably is close to double the meat, but if you pass on a legal deer, and dont find a mature buck, thats a lot less meat than taking the young buck

A
alseaalumaweld
i know its ruffly double the meet take ive weigth the meat take on last 5 deer kills ive been part of. seen 30plus buck last deer season so gota pass a few up to get a monster.

A
alseaalumaweld
booner or bust!

C
capblack
i would love to hunt an area where i spot 30 bucks in a year. in the part of the santiam unit i hunt, it doesn't happen. some years i have a hard time seeing many does, and i spend a lot more time sitting and hiking in the woods than i do behind the windshield. good luck everyone, hope you all fill your freezers!! Brian

A
alseaalumaweld
ya i hike in 4-15 miles hikes normal days 10-30 deers 8 to 1 doe to buck ratio