What pound test for coho?

A
Axlave
Hey everyone,

First time going for coho, and was wondering what the normal pound mainline and leaders are.

I first assumed it would be heavier line since they are still salmon

But ive been doing some research and have been reading 8-10lb main and 6-8lb leaders.

Are these fish line shy? Or should heavier line be just fine?

Last edited by a moderator:
A
alseaalumaweld
good line and a tiger stick and a penn

J
JeannaJigs
alseaalumaweld said:
there not line shy no point in 8 pound test

Pshhh it's more fun than fighting a fish with quarter inch cable.

A
alseaalumaweld
you can set your drag the same and have heavy line but allrite i guess

J
JeannaJigs
True. In the end, it's all personal preference with a little common sense about your surroundings and the conditions

A
alseaalumaweld
very true! and im the king of breaking fish off i can break anything ha

N
nwkiller
alseaalumaweld said:
you can set your drag the same and have heavy line but allrite i guess

agree

brandon4455
brandon4455
Mad dog said:
I have never had a problem with 12 lb., I don't see coho as being leader shy....In fact I think they are dumb! They mill around in the frog water waiting to bite something pink...anything pink! :lol:

exactly! :lol:

C
CoastieFlo
I use 10lb on a steelhead rod when im at Siltcoos or Tack just because I know for sure there isn't any 35lb nooks in there......even then some of those silvers esp in Siltcoos get in the high teens pretty regularly (at they were last year).

Casting spinners off the rocks at Winchester Bay I use 20-25lb because you do catch nooks there.

C
CoastieFlo
JeannaJigs said:
Pshhh it's more fun than fighting a fish with quarter inch cable.

haha yeah and with an electric reel set up its so sweet, just 'bzzzzzzzzzzzzzt' fish is in the boat!!

J
JeannaJigs
wait. such a thing exists? Holy. Crap.

CoastieFlo said:
haha yeah and with an electric reel set up its so sweet, just 'bzzzzzzzzzzzzzt' fish is in the boat!!

F
fish_4_all
I don't fish salt where I have to play with the seals so I use 12# for everything salmon. Landed 4 nook over 30# last year on it and have landed 5 nook over 40 with 12# maxima so never seen a reason to go any heavier.

Ocean fishing, I would use my sturgeon rod with 70# braid and 60# leader because the seals are epic this year. Thought about doing a telephone pole with 2500# cable and 2000# braided steel leader and see if I can land one of those seals and see if I can get away with punching it.:lol:

F
Fisherman
SonyAUX said:
Heavy line helps, but.... I've seen people with heavy line on a trout pole hook up with a nook and I watched their pole snap in half! Im not joking lol... Right pole, right line, right reel with good drag, catch fish. IMO
Would a medium light Diawa shock rod and reel with 4-15 pound line rating work for coho