Minimum size outboard for drift boat

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I'm looking to get an outboard for my drift boat, not sure about 2 or 4 cycle engine. Would use it mostly in Tillamook bay at the mouths of Wilson, Trask or other coastal tidewater. Most everything I've read has people using an 8 hp, was hoping to use a smaller (read cheaper) motor. Main purpose would be to get back up river to the boat ramp. I don't think I'd try trolling since I don't think you can get a drift boat to plane out can you. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
people troll in drift boats all over the rivers in tidewater here on the central Coast, some with electric motors, others use low HP outboards...

I think a 2.5hp 4 stroke would push a drift boat easily 5mph, (the 2.5hp Merc on our 16' Alumacraft will move it at 5mph and I think pretty much any drift boat should be lighter and have less water resistance)...

cheers, roger

E
eugene1
I'd go for a two cylinder engine for a smoother running engine. 4hp will move you around but if there is any wind or current, you'll wish you had more power.

I'd go with and 8+ hp.

D
DrTheopolis
Generally, the harder you "push" a driftboat, it just raises the bow higher out of the water. DB's reach their theoretical maximum speed with a very small motor. A 4HP will give you about the same top speed as a 8HP... the difference being that the 8 will perform much better against a strong current.

On my bud's boat, we run a 80# electric, which works great... the downside being the weight of the batteries (often run 4 in tidewater/bays).

You can easily troll, but in the wind, or with a strong cross-current, not so much.

It's been said -- A motorized driftboat is about the worst powerboat ever concocted. It's also one of the best fishing platforms ever concocted.

Anywhere from a 2.5 to a 10 should hook you up. Or an electric (I'd think you'd want at least a 50# thrust).

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Thanks everyone! I was thinking of a 4 hp but might need to bump up the power for potential wind & current. Let the shopping begin!

F
fishingduck
Bump up to at least an 8hp. Gives you more options and if you are going against the tide and the wind you'll need it. I have 8ph and sometimes I wish I had a 50hp back there as I'm full throttle just to keep straight. I have 17x54 aluminum.

M
Merle
Minimum size outboard for drift boat

fishingduck said:
Bump up to at least an 8hp. Gives you more options and if you are going against the tide and the wind you'll need it. I have 8ph and sometimes I wish I had a 50hp back there as I'm full throttle just to keep straight. I have 17x54 aluminum.

Fishingduck I agree with you. I can not imagine the thoughts that go through a man's mind as strong currents and wind are carrying you and your drift boat with an undersized outboard out to Sea ! My wife informed me that I was allowed only one boat so I had a custom drift boat made, assuming that when I put an outboard on, it would take care of all my boating needs. Well I have been rethinking things lately and I think we are going to become a two boat family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Picked up an 8 hp 2 stroke Merc on CL