Coastal cutthroat

S
sapo
I've never fly fished for coastal cutthroat, and I'm going to have the opportunity next week. Is anyone willing to share any spots for some cutthroat somewhere on the NW coast area? I'll be fly fishing. pm me if you want, but I just need some good locations. Thanks!

troutdude
troutdude
The season is just beginning, for SRC's. So, "go low" (just above any tidewater). And toss some Borden Specials...made specifically for SRC's.

BordenSpecial.jpg

brandon4455
brandon4455
its very simple, go to any coastal stream that is open to fishing, and fish in tidewater areas or lower mainstem areas of those streams and you will find fish. Resident coastal cutthroat are also available in these streams in the upper reaches.

I caught a few SRC out of a mid coast tidewater the other day stripping a little shrimp pattern on a clear sinking line.they are in.

C_Run
C_Run
brandon4455 said:
its very simple, go to any coastal stream that is open to fishing, and fish in tidewater areas or lower mainstem areas of those streams and you will find fish. Resident coastal cutthroat are also available in these streams in the upper reaches.

I caught a few SRC out of a mid coast tidewater the other day stripping a little shrimp pattern on a clear sinking line.they are in.

Yes. Just get the regs and a map and go. That has worked for me over and over.

S
sapo
Thanks guys!

H
hydropsyche
Sea runs are totally different from any trout. I had the hardest time figuring them out. Forget indicators and dead drifts. Swung soft hackles, buggers, small steelhead wets and skated or twitched caddis drys work well. They will hit a dry when nothing is hatching on the water. You will also find them in lots off different water types but not usullay the fast shallow riffles often targeted for other trout species. Slow back eddies, under cuts, modest runs with large boulders and any slower water with cover is typically where I find them in the river. Retrieving a streamer or wet fly casting up stream and retrieving down can be a productive approach as well. Most of my experience has been fishing the alsea river.

S
Stonefish
hydropsyche said:
Sea runs are totally different from any trout. I had the hardest time figuring them out. Forget indicators and dead drifts.

Actually you can do quite well using dead drifting nymphs under an indicator....or a big dry. My two favorite are a Copper John and a Lighting Bug. A October caddis pupa will do the trick as well plus having the added bonus that summerruns love them.
Certainly not as much fun as swinging or stripping for them but highly productive when it is on. It is always good to have another ansenal in your bag of tricks.
SF
SF

O
OnTheDrop
hydropsyche said:
Sea runs are totally different from any trout. I had the hardest time figuring them out. Forget indicators and dead drifts. Swung soft hackles, buggers, small steelhead wets and skated or twitched caddis drys work well. They will hit a dry when nothing is hatching on the water. You will also find them in lots off different water types but not usullay the fast shallow riffles often targeted for other trout species. Slow back eddies, under cuts, modest runs with large boulders and any slower water with cover is typically where I find them in the river. Retrieving a streamer or wet fly casting up stream and retrieving down can be a productive approach as well. Most of my experience has been fishing the alsea river.

Completely agree! I find some of the biggest sea runs in structure that you would find a Largemouth Bass in...

Man, one on the North Coast is still haunting me from last year...

H
hydropsyche
Yeah I was referring to sea runs. Residential cuts fish much like bows but I still find they prefer slower water and motion in the presentation indicator or not the caddis pupa is killer.