Hello, a newcomer question - any good spot in Eugene?

S
streamscream
Hi, i arrived at Eugene about a 2 months ago, and now i've got my gears and license(insanely pricey for non-res).

The thing is, i don't have a car here so i'm pretty much stuck near UO campus where i live.
Can you recommend some nice spots for Willamette salmonids in Eugene? Or... is there any?
I've explored some banks alongside the Willamette from the campus to Island Park near Springfield.
I got some bites, but non of them were trout/steelie... While i appreciate any fish kind enough to bite my spinner, obviously there's something special about catching salmonids in river!

And BTW, you don't have to worry about an outsider taking Oregonian fish - i release everything i catch:)

p.s. Can you tell me what that fish in the picture is? It was small but it put up a good fight for an UL rod.

• 0810141858b.png
G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Haven't fished the Willie up near Eugene, but that fish looks like a Northern Pikeminnow.

G
grampa ron
If you want to have fun with Trout? Show up on Thursdays at Alton Baker Canal after 10:00am. If your gonna C&R remove the barbs or better yet single barbless.

S
streamscream
I havent been to the canal because i like the atmosphere of river fishing... well i guess im not desperate enough. Had some success at ABC 11 years ago, though.

I
igquick
Squawfish aka Northern Pikeminnow

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome! If you haven't already done so, I suggest you Google Eugene for a look see at what is around the campus.

Troutski
Troutski
PM sent...

PM sent...

PM sent...

C
Contron
Welcome to the forum! I also prefer fishing the river to ABC and have spent the last couple years since I have been a student at U of O finding some good spots around campus.
Eugene.jpg
I have found this to be a pretty good stretch of water between the foot bridge and I5, but you have to watch the water levels because it changes quickly and can be a spot prone to snags.

S
streamscream
I'm a student too! And oh yes, I've been there. Also saw a couple of anglers too. I casted a spinner under the big bridge but eventually got snagged and lost it... I will definitely try that spot again.

B
budney
I fish under the Ferry St Bridge quite a bit. I have pulled a few small trout there, and get plenty of bites. It is right by Alton Baker, so if you get bored you can go to the canal or pond. Lol

685634383c81d375a9a5366976e4ce5b.jpg

S
streamscream
budney said:
I fish under the Ferry St Bridge quite a bit. I have pulled a few small trout there, and get plenty of bites. It is right by Alton Baker, so if you get bored you can go to the canal or pond. Lol

On which side of the river did you get bites? I have once fished under the bicycle bridge on the ABC side of the river, but had no bites even though the spot looked promising.

B
budney
I fish on the south side. There is a nice open space there, and not much to get caught up on too.