Siuslaw this week...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
fishing the river early all this coming week with my bro-in-law and friends, whether we slay or skunk, I will try to post an update each evening...:peace:

troutdude
troutdude
Tag 'em n' bag 'em buddy!

hobster
hobster
I'm jealous, have fun! Looking forward to your reports.

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
:thumb:

E
eugene1
Nice, good luck roger!

D
DrTheopolis
rogerdodger said:
whether we slay or skunk

You're skilled enough you aren't going to get skunked the entire week. Sure, estuary fishing is hit-and-miss, but you'll get your crew into fish at some point.

E
eugene1
DrTheopolis said:
you aren't going to get skunked the entire week.

Please don't jinx the man on the early 'slaw fishing.

Catching depends on the fish and the angler... If he wanted a 'surer' bet he would hit the umpy.

Best,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
Catching depends on the fish and the angler... If he wanted a 'surer' bet he would hit the umpy.

Best,

agreed but I just can't drive all the way to the Umpqua when there are fish here 2 miles from home...:)

Monday- big fish spread all through the area we fish, we saw one big hog breach near us also. water too warm, early high was not very high and out of the launch temp. was 62F, got warmer all the way to Cushman (65F), back down below the 101 bridge during the ebb it was already back up to 66F. we rolled herring and ran a bunch of different spinners...

friend in a kayak got a big jack and small adult chinook before sunrise and when we got back to the launch, Sarah said those were the only fish she had counted as of then (1:30pm).

plan tomorrow is to head downstream until we find cooler water and fish that like crazy...cheers, roger

Markk
Markk
rogerdodger said:
agreed but I just can't drive all the way to the Umpqua when there are fish here 2 miles from home...:)

Monday- big fish spread all through the area we fish, we saw one big hog breach near us also. water too warm, early high was not very high and out of the launch temp. was 62F, got warmer all the way to Cushman (65F), back down below the 101 bridge during the ebb it was already back up to 66F. we rolled herring and ran a bunch of different spinners...

friend in a kayak got a big jack and small adult chinook before sunrise and when we got back to the launch, Sarah said those were the only fish she had counted as of then (1:30pm).

plan tomorrow is to head downstream until we find cooler water and fish that like crazy...cheers, roger
Thanks for report. Good luck tomorrow!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Salmon are playing very hard to get; crab are not. launched at 6:30am (65F water there) then we dropped 2 traps between red wing damns below the 101 bridge, went down and mooched by A6 (46F water) and then trolled back up past Landfill bank fishing (50F water) to the bridge (58F water at high tide). scattered big fish holding here and there but no action. (FYI- checked water down near the bottom, about 2F lower than surface water temp. being shown on the sonar).

back to the crabbing after 2 hour soak- first pot- 4 keepers, second pot- 3 keepers, all over 6", stacked the gear and got back to fishing.

I had one hit on a hockey stick (APEX) that was probably a Jack based on what the sonar was showing us in that area. Sarah at the dock reported no fish in as of 1:30pm.

gonna get one soon...roger

Last edited by a moderator:
1 nut in the water
Fingers crossed for you Roger!
All loaded up with work and play for next few weeks but the week after Labor day I am there in the drift boat dying or trying!

T
troutmasta
Get Some!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Wednesday- great day fishing/crabbing with GoBlueFan, we managed to get him 6 crabs (I caught one while trolling a big spinner, that is a first for me).

the Siuslaw kings, what few there are in the river and even down in the jaws, have total lockjaw, no nets flying, no take-downs, nada. I am hoping the cycle of strong tides over this weekend will bring more fish into the river and put at least some of them on the bite...some rain would be nice. Cheers, roger

Markk
Markk
I think i will wait one more week. Thanks for the update.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
taking a rest from the Siuslaw today, took our kayaks to Munsel with the dogs to practice for coho spinner fishing in October, someone decided to do some swimming...cheers, roger

troutdude
troutdude
Ha ha! That's great!

C
CoastalMoe
I love the daily updates on your thread...

Keep havin fun...

C_Run
C_Run
New dog??? I don't remember that one.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
C_Run said:
New dog??? I don't remember that one.

guest dog, Rottweiler-GoldenRetriever mix that my sister/bro-in-law adopted a few years ago as a puppy...fun guy, lanky narrow dog with Rottie colors, he likes to play rough with my dog Pepper...they are about the same size (75#) but she is faster...:D

U
upperroguepirate
yes oh boy, that's what my black lab "Teal" is gonna be doing when we move to Florence in sept. we have the rivers and the beaches. doesn't get any better. I hope to be on the river during the 1st week for kings. where i'll be living is 10 miles up the north fork of the river. 10 miles from town. Are there kings that go up the n fork? if not, then that means a 25 to 30 mile RT drive in a gas guzzling 351 windor F150. think I better try to sell it so I can afford to be on the rivers