What type of fishing line would you buy for fly fishing leader?

I
igquick
Minimum Requirements:

- Needs to be at least 12 lb test.

- Don't want to purchase online.

- Must be fishing line you could buy at most stores.

Main goal for this fishing line: I want this fishing line to be strong (12 lb test) yet able to float on top of the water if possible. If that's not possible, what is the best fishing line that sinks the least.

I've done some sleight research and found that mono fishing line sinks much slower than fluoro since the mono is less dense. Didn't do much more research than that since I was pretty sure that the 12 lb mono fishing line was sure to be "good enough"; but I was just wondering if I could have easily made a better choice at the store.

Also I just thought of another question. Is there such thing as a "floating" swivel or a ring strong enough for fly fishing that you could just tie your leader to? I'm not worried about fish being spooked by a leader like how some trout are in clear water.

G
grampa ron
I use flourocarbon coated. It works fine.

H
hcole
Maxima UG is what I use.

In regards to the floating swivel biz, use a blood knot, back-to-back nail knots, or a loop to loop connection.

C
ChezJfrey
hcole said:
...or a loop to loop connection.

Yeah, two loops with a perfection knot then a leader switch is pretty simple.

I
igquick
Thanks everyone for your answers.

The 12 lb mono is working real great. It floats and I was able to out fish 10 other fisherman. ALSO, one of my fish ran under multiple snags and I was able to fight the fish out of them.

In regards to the fishing knots, would it be better to have the leader and the mainline each have a loop to loop connection or is one on the mainline fine; while the leader is just tied on tight with the "basic fisherman knot". (Usually the first type of fishing knot everyone learns at first, which I'm pretty good at tying a strong one) It just seems like a loop to loop knot from the leader and a loop to loop knot from the mainline all connected together can prevent less line breaks?

brandon4455
brandon4455
I use seaguar fluorcarbon ( red label,invisX or grand max FX which is made specifically for fly fishing) and maxima ultragreen mono for everything. if you want your leader to float even more "grease" it with fly floatant. You can also look into buying furled leaders which are braided and float.

I
igquick
brandon4455 said:
I use seaguar fluorcarbon ( red label,invisX or grand max FX which is made specifically for fly fishing) and maxima ultragreen mono for everything. if you want your leader to float even more "grease" it with fly floatant. You can also look into buying furled leaders which are braided and float.

Thanks @brandon4455. I'll definitely have those a go.

I've always been curious about that maxima ultragreen mono since it looks a lot more different than the other fishing lines.

H
hcole
igquick said:
In regards to the fishing knots, would it be better to have the leader and the mainline each have a loop to loop connection or is one on the mainline fine; while the leader is just tied on tight with the "basic fisherman knot". (Usually the first type of fishing knot everyone learns at first, which I'm pretty good at tying a strong one) It just seems like a loop to loop knot from the leader and a loop to loop knot from the mainline all connected together can prevent less line breaks?

As long as you can tie strong knots, there's really no wrong way to do it. Nearly every fly line or sink tip I've ever purchased comes with a loop on the end so I tie a loop in the end of my leader and attach it that way.

If I'm swinging flies for steelhead I'm not attaching any additional line after the leader so it's one loop to loop connection.

If I'm fishing off the jetty... Fly line (loop to loop) 20 lb maxima (blood knot) 15 lb maxima

Trout fishing... Fly line (loop to loop) leader (blood knot) tippet

Practice a few knots until you can tie them well and you should be good to go. Blood knots can be a real hassle when using light leader and tippet so sometimes I use a nail knot tool and do back to back nail knots. You could still use a loop to loop connection for the leader to tippet I just prefer (k)not too.