Help with Mercer Lake perch

P
Panfishmaster
anyone have some advice on how to catch larger perch on Mercer Lake? Taking my son-in-law and his father out on the lake in a couple of weeks and would like to best my chances at not getting skunked. (don't we all)

any advice on areas to target, bait or jigs, etc. would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

T
TJR_84
My family goes there every year. Use a small hook and a small chunk of worm. Slow retrieval and you should have a none stop day of catching!! Small jig heads like crappie jigs tipped with worm do the trick too. Good luck and have fun!!

troutdude
troutdude
TJR_84 said:
Use a small hook and a small chunk of worm. Slow retrieval and you should have a none stop day of catching!! /QUOTE]

This, and a bobber, worked VERY well back in the day at nearby Siltcoos Lake. We found the perch in, and around, the areas where the grass pokes up and out of the water.

M
montym
With a small hook, the worm tends go up the line and gets damaged quicker. With a small jig head the worm seems to last longer for me. Best not to leave any worm hanging from the hook, just start with enough to cover the entire hook. Perch will usually keep taking it till there is any worm left at all, at least the ones at Hagg tend to do so.

D
diia813
The best bait for perch is other perch, catch one and turn it into bait, they can't resist. Easiest fish to catch around here.