Eat a cookie, get some nooks

J
JeannaJigs
After this last weekend I was exhausted and thankful to have time off until tomorrow. I had a couple injuries, but managed to complete the 60 mile walk (I'll post a thread about that too). I convinced Andy a couple weeks ago he really needed to call in sick so he could go fishing on my days off (I have weekdays off, he has weekends off...it doesn't work) so yesterday morning, Andy was really sick. I took him to Florence because Eugene was completely out of Imodium and it was an emergency. Got that under control and decided the best thing to do was go fishing, I had brined herring the night before "just in case", the cooler had ice, and the boat and jeep were gassed up and ready to go. Funny how it all worked out so splendidly? I have no idea what time we launched, but it was still pretty dark out. We rigged up and dropped our gear for the first pass. This is a hole most boats for some reason don't really work hard, but I've pulled fish out of in the past. I'd say my bait was down there about 10 minutes? 20 max. I grabbed a cookie for breakfast that an old lady gave me during my walk that i carried for like 55 miles, she said it was a "faith cookie" lol. That if you ate it and said a little prayer, everything would be okay. (Not even kidding you). I didn't eat it 'cause I shoved it into the bottom of my camelbak and it wasn't seen for another 3 days until I empty my camelbak out. So I ate it, and said to myself...I want a damn fish. 30 seconds after i put away the wrapper, my rod doubles and just completely burries itself. FISH ON. This thing fought like a beast. I knew it was a chinook, it wasn't coming up, and I knew it had to have some size to it, because the headshakes were unreal. I'm not sure how long the battle lasted but it felt like eternity. It kept making runs. I kept scanning the horizons fearing for seals. My knees shaking the whole time. Finally got it close to the boat and saw it roll near the surface...HOG! Then it took off a good 30 yards again. Dammit! Some goons in a boat near us kept telling me to let it run, and telling me when to reel hard. REALLY?! Just because I have boobs, doesn't mean I can't fight a fish without your input. Jeeze. That crap annoys me. I have caught a fish here and there ya know? Anywaysssss...he makes a few more runs before he gets wore out enough for me to even get him into net range. Andy tried scooping him up and realized how big this thing was, and how little the net suddenly seemed. He didn't want to go in the net. Somehow (maybe it was the faith cookie's doing) we got it in the boat. HOLY HOG. Andy immediately says "35 pounder". It barely fit in the cooler, and had to be put in at an angle as it was too girthy. After a few more hours we went to cushman and hung it on the scale, it was wavering between 32-33. I've never seen so much sea lice on a fish, ever, it took me forever to get it all off when I was filleting it out last night. Super fresh, bright red meat. Mmmmmm. No other fish the rest of the day, only thing I caught later was a sunburn when I fell asleep in the boat for I don't even know how long. Didn't see anything else going on either. Kinda dead. We did try to fish the jetties during incoming, but got harassed by the coast guard (who put on a rough bar advisory JUST BECAUSE they saw us heading that way, it wasn't on when we went back to florence, and the jetties were calm as a pond). Tons of crab pots, and it looked like the crabbing was pretty good though. All in all, I finally got my fix, I can handle not being able to go out for the rest of tidewater now. Or, well, I say that now. Give it a week.

f092a780.jpg

The massacre, it decided to start squirting blood everywhere while I was holding it up for a picture, that didn't even really hardly come out because of the darkness.

694b8fab.jpg

F
flipper
Wow nice job!

brandon4455
brandon4455
pig of a fish, badass story and title. nice job jigs that one will cut good! :clap:

T
TTFishon
What a pig!!! Great job Jeanna!!!

R
RunWithSasquatch
BAD ASS! Nice fish... Toadnasty... congrats! I need some cookies...

J
jabs67
Great job!!!! Nice Nook!!!!!!

G
GDBrown
Oh how I envy your time on the water. Sounds like you and Andy have a good thing going there. Maybe you need a camera with a flash on it for those early morning shots.
If I bring my boat down during the week will you show me how it's done? :lol: I'll even bring cookies! I'm heading for the Columbia tomorrow and I hope to have a similar story to tell.

GD

J
JeannaJigs
Thanks :) I'm totally thinking the cookie played a major role lol

J
JeannaJigs
GDBrown said:
Oh how I envy your time on the water. Sounds like you and Andy have a good thing going there. Maybe you need a camera with a flash on it for those early morning shots.
If I bring my boat down during the week will you show me how it's done? :lol: I'll even bring cookies! I'm heading for the Columbia tomorrow and I hope to have a similar story to tell.

GD

Iphone 4 or 5, November 28th, when I'm up for a new phone. lol. I know the 4 has flash. I don't roll with a camera, for some reason, I have one but I don't know the last time I actually used it. It's one more thing to carry around I guess? my busted up Iphone takes good enough pictures (most of the time) and I always have it, because I feel absolutely naked and lost without it (it's sad, I know.) Anytime you want to come down on a tuesday or wednesday, I'd be down to go out. Do you have "Faith" cookies? because, that's what sealed the deal. lol.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I can make some faith cookies...

J
JeannaJigs
better get on it!

A
Airs98
Sweet holy Jesus! Now that's a fish!

L
lilsalmon
Very nice fish indeed, Jeanna....you sent me the pic while I was picking shirt out of celery....that wasn't nice but showed it to everyone in the smoking canopy....hehe....you spent a better day than I did, fer shure......Is that said river at level yet? cuz I really need to get one of those.

J
JeannaJigs
Lol I'm sorry!! I didn't know you were picking shirt out of celery at that moment! Lol. I'm glad I sent you the crappy dark one where you can't realllly quite see the glory of the chrome, and you can't really tell exactly how large it is 'cause it's kinda shadowed in by darkness. :) So see it coulda been worse if I sent you one where you could clearly see what was going on. Said river isn't a go yet..I'll let you know soon as it is :)

L
lilsalmon
JeannaJigs said:
Lol I'm sorry!! I didn't know you were picking shirt out of celery at that moment! Lol. I'm glad I sent you the crappy dark one where you can't realllly quite see the glory of the chrome, and you can't really tell exactly how large it is 'cause it's kinda shadowed in by darkness. :) So see it coulda been worse if I sent you one where you could clearly see what was going on. Said river isn't a go yet..I'll let you know soon as it is :)

It wasn't too dark that it didn't cause my shoulders to slump and my bottom lip pout...but I am okay now....got to do green peppers today....never, never, never work at Norpac no matter how desperate you are.....i am thinking McDonalds looks better by the second...hehe.

C_Run
C_Run
Where can I get one of those cookies?

B
bernduffy
OK...I'm baking every kind of cookie I can think of...and I'll be sure to use "damn" in my wish. Wotta Nook!

P
plumb2fish
I'm a tard... just realized I posted on FB not here.....Great fish, I can't seem to keep the bigguns away from critters.....Do I sound jealous? Cause I am:clap:

J
JeannaJigs
C_Run said:
Where can I get one of those cookies?

I don't know there was a little old lady passing them out on the I-90 bridge over lake washington lol. Might have to get some extras next year if I see her lol

J
JeannaJigs
plumb2fish said:
I'm a tard... just realized I posted on FB not here.....Great fish, I can't seem to keep the bigguns away from critters.....Do I sound jealous? Cause I am:clap:

Thanks :) I Was so damn nervous about the seals. I was looking everywhere the entire time for em. I'm pretty sure Andy woulda shot one and dealt with the repercussions later. Fortunately I didn't see a seal until after it was in the boat, and it was kinda following us.