Middle fork or Mckenzie

J
JohnnyH
Looking to go fishing with someone familiar with the Eugene/Springfield area. I have never hooked a steelhead and would love to give it a go. I have been putting a ton of hours in with no luck. Including scouting up and down the rivers for hours and trying new spots. Starting to get frustrated. Please help out a fellow angler.

hobster
hobster
Wish I could help but I'm way too busy with work, have fished twice since June (ouch it hurts to say that). It's pretty tough right now to hook a steelhead with the rivers being so low and clear and it being so damn HOT. It can be very frustrating when you first start out and even harder this time of year so just keep at it. Best bet is early, be on the river by 5 am or sunset, good luck!

Troutski
Troutski
Summer Steelhead...

Summer Steelhead...

Do you live in the Springfield/Eugene area? Like was said above, hot weather and low water levels make it very tough, try using bright spoons running them deep. Again like was said above, early and late in the day will greatly improve your chances on landing a Steelhead..
tight lines..
Chuck
[/FONT]

J
JohnnyH
Yes, I am in Springfield. Saturday morning I will be going up below Leaburg to give it another shot. With how crazy work has been I have only been able to get out in the afternoon/evening. I'll be up there about 5-5:30 Saturday morning. So I guess if I do catch something I am doing pretty good or it's just dumb luck.

Troutski
Troutski
PM sent...

PM sent...

PM sent

jamisonace
jamisonace
It's been tough for about three weeks on both rivers but the willamette has more color so they don't seem to be as spooked. You might try dexter on the boat ramp side. I've done ok from my boat with brass spinners lately.