Bay techniques for perch, other fish?

S
sapo
I'm going to Nehalem to troll for salmon on Friday, and I thought I'd bring along the lighter gear and see if I could hook up with any perch, bottom fish, etc. if the bite is slow. However, I've never fished for any other species like perch or the other species in Nehalem, and I was wondering what is a basic setup I can use for these fish? Thanks!

Casting Call
Casting Call
Why not plunk for salmon? It's crazy good out there bay fishing now. GL Tony

S
sapo
Ya, that sounds good!

D
DrTheopolis
I'll be there tomorrow, it looks like.

I'd say the only way you're going to fish the jetty would be from the bank. The problems being that Nehalem gets mighty rough out towards the jaws, and it would be a job to keep a boat somewhat steady/stationary to do any rock fishing, which leads to the second problem -- you'd probably want to do that on the south jetty, since it's not really safe to get a boat anywhere near the north jetty, and pretty much the entire length of the south jetty is an established trolling lane, so you'd probably make some enemies trying. It gets to be quite a zoo out by the jaws, and can get pretty rough. Definitely need the right boat to go that far out. Once you get inside the bend, it's smooth sailing.

I've never actually fished for other species in the bay. I'm quite sure there are some, though.

S
sapo
DrTheo, do you think crabbing would be worth it right now? Thx