New to Oregon feel lost

T
Tspen
Hi all. I just moved to the Beaverton area from Alaska and am dying to fish. I feel lost here, not sure what type of gear I need (line weight, flies, etc..), or where to go. In Alaska I typically fished grayling and rainbow trout.

I'd like to find a good area w/in an hour of Beaverton to fly fish from the bank or wade without modifying my gear too much. Hiking in is not a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to Oregon, and to OFF.

What you used to catch trout, up north, I would think would be the same here. The upper Clackamas, is good trout water for fly fishing. To the west, you could try the Nestucca.

If you're a reader--and want to learn fast--my 2 favorite books are:

"Fishing in Oregon" by Maddy Diness (11th ed.); and "The Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon", by John Shewey (2nd ed.). Should be able to buy both, at a nearby fly shop. You might also like these books:

http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=100196&src=froogle&gclid=CM6frdTz-L8CFYk7MgodSngAUQ

http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=110358&src=froogle&gclid=CKTg5vPz-L8CFQg0aQodS2sAAQ

S
Socaaron
Welcome! I highly recommend the above books mentioned by troutdude, "Fishing In Oregon" is my bible, I use it as a base resource for the vast majority of my fishing excursions.
Seeing as you're based in Beaverton going coastal would be a good bet for consistent fishing. The Wilson is a fabulous trout stream with many opportunities for bank angling(just look for the many pullouts along the road) which depending on the season offers opportunities for the larger targets of Salmon and Steelhead. Right next to the Wilson is the Trask another good trout fishing river which sees lighter pressure. You could also take hwy 26 instead of 6 and fish the Necanicum another small coastal river with some decent fishing. All the rivers above host respectable Sea Run Cutthroat runs with the Wilson being the most noted(hint hint they're there now!)
Personally if I'm targeting larger trout I use my 9ft 5wt(I cast better with it) but I always bring my 7.5ft 3wt for when I want to really watch my rod bend. Fly selections should be about the same, a variety of caddis patterns, some small stones, duns, midges, and mays. If you're nymphing don't leave home without a bead head pheasant tail. Small streamers for SRC work very well with patterns with yellow or red producing effectively. The only other advice I can OFFer is that this time of year the rivers are running LOW so you'll have to work a bit more to find those shaded banks, and deeper runs where the fish are holding.
Best of luck.
P.S I'm always down to fish if I'm not working!

B
bagold53
I see that the Wilson (1-1.5 hours drive) is already mentioned. The Sandy and Clack (45 mins-1.25 hours traffic dependent)on the other side of Portland both seem to have trout in them. I can get there faster than to the Wilson. But I like the Nehalem river (About 1-1.5 hours away) off 26 a lot better than the rest, guess I have more exp with it than the rest for trout. As for bank access I would say the Wilson or Nehalem Rivers. Too lazy to hike so not sure of any good hike in places although I have been told there are a few good hike in lakes in the Nehalem River area.

All times are my approximations and should not be consider accurate. But you have a lot of good rivers within an hour or so from you.

Ben