Advice please - bank fishing

B
Bsball26
I recently moved here and would like advice as to where to bank fish (lake or river). I fished for 20 years in the AZ and NM rivers and had great balance so I could wade out waist deep with no problems. Now, after having my ear drum removed and part of my foot removed due to MRSA staph in my bone, well I have no balance. I have tried fishing just calf deep and I loose my balance. Very disappointing. I know how to fish, I'm very good with fly rod or spinning reel, I just don't know where to go for the area I need.

I'm not asking for anyone's favorite spots or honey holes, just some area's in Central Oregon where I can fly fish or spinning reel from the river bank, or even go to a lake and bank fish there. I prefer a river/stream. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
welcome to OFF! I think it might help people reply if you narrow down your location a little, best to start with places closest to you and work out from there...cheers, roger

S
sunsalem
Easy bank access isn't in abundance, but....
Crooked River has some spots for bank fishing, especially near the dam.
The Lower Deschutes as well.
South Twin, Big Lava, East Lake can also be possibilities.
Good Luck.

B
Bsball26
Thank you rogerdoger for the advice but I thought I did narrow it down by indicating Central Oregon. I guess from Bend, I'd go in any direction 1 - 2 hours drive. I'm not sure how I can narrow it down any more than that without getting into other regions. Hope that helps.

B
Bsball26
Thank you very much sunsalem. I will definitely check these out on the map, locate them and give them a try. Appreciate it very much.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Bsball26 said:
Thank you rogerdoger for the advice but I thought I did narrow it down by indicating Central Oregon. I guess from Bend, I'd go in any direction 1 - 2 hours drive. I'm not sure how I can narrow it down any more than that without getting into other regions. Hope that helps.

cheers, I was going off the fishing zones, you can see that 'Central Oregon Zone' goes from Columbia River down to a just below Bend...I guess the moral would be that 'Central Oregon' doesn't automatically mean Bend, just like Northern Arizona doesn't always mean Flagstaff, it could be Kingman or ShowLow..:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
EOBOY
EOBOY
Bsball26:

If you live in Bend go to the Aloha Cafe and ask for Merve the owner. Don't tell him I sent you..haha. He fish's all the time he can point you to somewhere to fit you're need's. Good luck!

Dana

B
Bsball26
I really do appreciate your help rogerdodger and I'm certainly not trying to be a rear end, but yes, I was fully aware of the size of Central Region as it is clearly shown in the 2014 OR Sport Fishing Regulations. I know you don't know anything about me but by last 4 years of working before I retired, I had to drive 120 miles one way to my office in Ft. Worth, 240 miles round trip, 4 days a week. I would leave at 4AM and get to the office before 6AM, work until 4:30PM and get home around 7PM. So driving from Bend to the Columbia River is a piece of cake and much more fun going fishing than going to work. In fact, I used to drive from Scottsdale AZ to the White Mountains to fish many many times (day trips) as well as in NM I would travel from Tijeras NM (east of ABQ) to the San Juan River to fish, also day trips. So that is why I said Central Region because anything within the Central Region to me is a piece of cake to go day fishing. But then again, you would not know this so I really do appreciate your trying to make sure I knew what I was talking about. As I said above, I'm not trying to be difficult here, just explaining a little about myself. I hope that is ok. Thanks again.

Reactions: rogerdodger
B
Bsball26
Aloha Cafe and ask for Merve. Got it. Thank you very much EOBOY and mum's the word on where I got the information.

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
For lake fishing from the bank, I recommend Wickiup Reservoir in the fall--BIG browns and 'bows. You want to go in at South Twin campground on the Deschutes arm, and fish below the buoy line near the launch ramp ( Above the line is closed to fishing in the fall. )

S
sunsalem
No_Bad_Skunks said:
For lake fishing from the bank, I recommend Wickiup Reservoir in the fall--BIG browns and 'bows. You want to go in at South Twin campground on the Deschutes arm, and fish below the buoy line near the launch ramp ( Above the line is closed to fishing in the fall. )
Yup.;)

B
Bsball26
Thank you Skunks and sunsalem for the suggestion. I will certainly look into Wickiup. Thanks again to all.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard!