Spey rods--to tape or not to tape

C
captbob43
Would br interested to hear opinions on whether or not to tape the ferrules on a Spey rod.

Casting Call
Casting Call
well cap/bob you must have some concerns/issues with your rod yes/no? How do the ferrules fit together? How many pcs. to the rod? How long is the spey rod? What wt? IF! they fit loose and you feel alittle tick when you cast you loose some of the un-loading power. IF! you have either a light wt. rod or short spey rod (11' or less)don't bother. The extention unloading is softer than a long heavy rod. If it pops apart by all means tape it. If in doubt tape it. Spey casting is all about smooth,slow power transfer/unloading. GL Tony

C
captbob43
Thank you, Tony. In 20 years of Spey casting, I have broken several rods so I automatically tape the ferrules, once up and once back. Rarely have a problem now. I fish about 6 rods, from a 15'3" Gaelic Supreme 10 wt. down to a 6 wt. 11 ft. switch rod. I usually tweak my ferrules for a sound fit when I get a new rod and just tape. It relieves me of the loose-ferrule concern and makes my day so much nicer. I enjoyed hearing the opinions on this topic.

Regards,
Capt. Bob

Casting Call
Casting Call
The seasoned spey caster that you are you can understand what iam going to say. I shoot a cheater set-up on both my 21ft. (yes! twenty-one foot)and 14ft rods and always tape the joints. The cheaters allow me to change up on sink tips as conditions change. I spey cast for fun of it. Personal distance, disapline,and challange.Tony

Irishrover
Irishrover
Years ago I watched a video that suggested taping. After I broke my first rod, a 13' St Croix, I started taping. Then after using the new rod for a while I got the swing of things and did not use so much force, I finally got the cast down and stopped using the tape. But the only spey fishing I do is Skagit style. In the long run tape is cheap spey rods are not.

J
JonT
I've always waxed my ferrules on all my fly rods. Seems to do the trick so far.