Central Oregon trip

P
pdxstruve
Hi.

First of...thanks. I have learned more from this forum than I ever expected. Beyond helpful! I am planning a 3 day fishing trip to Central Oregon the first week in August. Heading straight out to East Lake (with a quick stop in Maupin to swing a few flies!) the first day. I have been scouring my fishing books and this forum to try and come up with a plan on the drive back to Portland from East Lake. I am taking a friend that really wants to hit Smith Rock. Plan on hitting the Crooked by there for some White Fish on the way back from East Lake and then head over McKenzie Pass. Other than that, I have a second night to spend on the way from Smith Rock back to Portland. From Smith Rock, was going to head back up through Sisters and follow HWY 22 to Detroit Lake. Enough rambling...I was looking for any call outs on places to stop on this trip back from Sisters to the Detroit area. Smaller creeks, certain smaller rivers that you would recommend. I know...that is a large area to call out. I will be chucking flies and spin casting. Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks again for all of the useful information.

Tight Lines

Brian

Irishrover
Irishrover
The Metolius River if you are headed over near Sisters. There also is the Deschutes out of west Terrebone on the Lower Bridge Rd. There is a place to fish it right close to the bridge. I'm not sure what the water level is there right now but I used to fishit in the summer. Hope you have a good trip.

S
steelhead_slayer
North fork santiam. Cool little stream with access all along the highway

P
pdxstruve
Perfect! Thanks to both of you. Going to try and nail some smaller creeks along the way as well. Will post a report. Excited about East Lake. The more I read the better it gets....

S
sunsalem
pdxstruve said:
Perfect! Thanks to both of you. Going to try and nail some smaller creeks along the way as well. Will post a report. Excited about East Lake. The more I read the better it gets....
East is a funny place...some guys have it dialed in and others struggle.
I'm one of the latter...;)

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
I second the vote for the North fork of the Santiam as you are on a limited amount of time and it is quite accessable and very scenic as well . I have often arrived late heading from my home ( Redmond ) to the valley because of this river and the fact I always have at least one rod and a small favorites tackle box with me .