Ocean coho from jetties or the shore

K
kcnoel1
I've seen videos on You Tube of guys fishing for Coho in the ocean from a jetty. The only problem (at least it's a problem dor me :) ) is that there is no mention as to WHERE they are. I know that people can be pretty tight lipped about these things but can anyone give me some hints? ;)

E
eugene1
What bay do you want to fish and/or where do you live?

K
kcnoel1
I live in Portland and I want to fish where the fish are. No preference as far as where goes.

S
stinger believer
You can fish for coho in pretty much any bay along the coast. Almost every bay gets a run. Look at odfw site and see which have wild retention also. Some of the bays I'd try would be winchester bay, yaquina bay, tillamook bay, and Nehalem bay. Nothing very difficult about it. Easiest way to catch coho is to look around, you'll see them busting the surface usually. Try pink or orange spinners, 8'6-9'0 spinning rod with 20lb braid, barrel swivel and a 2' mono leader. You can cast a lot farther with braid.

K
kcnoel1
Thanks! When I get home I'll take at look at these places. One more question. When do you think that they'll start showing up?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
stinger believer said:
You can fish for coho in pretty much any bay along the coast. Almost every bay gets a run. Look at odfw site and see which have wild retention also. Some of the bays I'd try would be winchester bay, yaquina bay, tillamook bay, and Nehalem bay. Nothing very difficult about it. Easiest way to catch coho is to look around, you'll see them busting the surface usually. Try pink or orange spinners, 8'6-9'0 spinning rod with 20lb braid, barrel swivel and a 2' mono leader. You can cast a lot farther with braid.

good advice. a key item is to be out fishing when lots of coho are passing by, in some areas, depending on weather, waterflow, temperature and such, a single surge or several surges of coho will pass by the jetties and riverbank stretches where you can cast lures for them (surge lasting for a few days to perhaps a week). Be there on a good day and you will see plenty caught...cheers, roger

K
kcnoel1
That makes sense. Thank you.

S
stinger believer
Fishable numbers Early September for Winchester and Nehalem. Late September for elsewhere.

K
kcnoel12
To everyone who replied to my question, Thank you so very much! :D

E
eugene1
Lots of coho pulled out of the jetties at Winchester bay (Umpy). Good camping nearby too. There are some solid posts about it here on OFF in the past years.

Hope to make it out there myself this season.

Good luck to you,

S
seekanddestory
kcnoel12 said:
To everyone who replied to my question, Thank you so very much! :D
A Buddy of mine landed 2 fish at the 101 bridge in resport just watch the tides coming in and going out

K
kcnoel12
Thanks for the info. Was that recently?

S
seekanddestory
Yes just last Saturday and Sunday

K
kcnoel12
I take it meant Reedsport? On the Umpqa River?

S
seekanddestory
Oh ya you are right red label herring with some tuna blood scent

T
troutmasta
Im going to do this this year.

S
seekanddestory
Cool

K
kcnoel1
I'm already planning a weekend camping 'Ho hunting trip for September!