Looking for a place to learn

N
nevadaman12
Hi everyone, I just bought an old aluminum drift boat and need to gain some experience on the sticks before the winter fish get here. I was wondering where I could find some easy drifts that would allow me to learn the ropes without getting into trouble. I'm in the Mcminnville area but I'm willing to travel to find good water.

E
eugene1
Maybe the willy?

Welcome to OFF. If you can, bring a buddy with some experience on the stix and hit a more technical river before you try that on your own.

Best.

N
nevadaman12
eugene1 said:

Any particular drifts that you know of? I have heard that the last drift above tide water is easy.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Welcome aboard NM12...check out the town loop around Siletz. You can put in and take out with-in 100 yards of each ramp and not get into too much trouble. 1 1/2 hrs for the drift and is 20 plus miles from the ocean. GL tony

D
DrTheopolis
nevadaman12 said:
I have heard that the last drift above tide water is easy.

The last drift above tidewater on the Willamette?

Yeah, I suppose that would be an extremely easy drift... except the last rapid, which would kill you.

I think you're thinking of the wrong place. I'd love to offer a good suggestion, but with the water so low everywhere, I can't think of a good one. Willamette way upstream would probably get you on the water.

T
Throbbit _Shane
If you've never rowed it before you might want to take it to a lake or pond and learn how to row backwards, and get a feel of it.

E
eugene1
I was thinking just go to any frog water section of the Willy near McMinnville and row around for a bit to get the hang of it. Kind of like going to a lake?

When you're done, just row back to where you launched. Not very exciting, but close to you and mellow.

Best,

nevadaman12 said:
Any particular drifts that you know of? I have heard that the last drift above tide water is easy.

DrTheopolis said:
The last drift above tidewater on the Willamette?

Yeah, I suppose that would be an extremely easy drift... except the last rapid, which would kill you.

I think you're thinking of the wrong place. I'd love to offer a good suggestion, but with the water so low everywhere, I can't think of a good one. Willamette way upstream would probably get you on the water.

Throbbit _Shane said:
If you've never rowed it before you might want to take it to a lake or pond and learn how to row backwards, and get a feel of it.

N
nevadaman12
Casting Call,

Do you know what the lowest river level is that is safe to drift that section of the Siletz?

H
halibuthitman
Book a day with a guide and tell him your main goal is learning how to handle a drift boat.. Clackacraft also has a class, worth the time and money.