Going to Wickiup, this weekend

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Gonna go chase browns at Wick this Saturday and Sunday. However, with the water being so high, I've been advised to skip the Deschutes arm, ( below the deadline, of course ) and hit the Davis arm instead.

Can anyone give me any advice? I've never fished that part of Wickiup before. ( I have an inflatable dinghy, with an electric trolling motor. ) I plan alternate between Rapalas, and nightcrawlers...or is there anything else I should try?

Thanx in advance.

Troutski
Troutski
Davis Arm...

Davis Arm...

This time of year when the water is high, the Davis arm is quite special. Launch your craft off one of those small forest roads just after you pass the North Davis Lake Campground turn right; keep to your right and follow the water until you reach that perfect spot. Browns in the evening trolling Raps very fast across the fingers about 125 feet behind the craft. Mornings I would target the Rainbows in the small coves, your electric motor will allow you to be stealth; these Rainbows are big for a reason.
Best of luck and tight lines...
Night Crawlers under a slip bobber with enough leader to get that bait just above the bottom on the deep side of the channel.

Chuck

Camping '05 061.jpg
Camping '05 018.jpg

I
idahojeff
What does "across the fingers" mean?

Troutski
Troutski
idahojeff said:
What does "across the fingers" mean?

The canal that runs from the main body of the lake towards Davis lake switches back and forth like a river, each time it switches there is a finger or point. These are the places to target the Browns, and Kokes for that matter.

Chuck

I
idahojeff
Thanks Chuck.

F
fishtales
Last weekend I heard that they had been draining the lake due to the fires. Also, heard that the fishing was not great but not bad either. Good luck. Hope you catch some. :)

T
Thuggin4Life
I need to get up there this time of year sometime. just to hard to go after my favorite trout during my favorite time of the year when the tidal water are full of chinook. Good luck. can't really give any more advice than chuck did.

Troutski
Troutski
idahojeff said:
Thanks Chuck.

No problem, glad to help.
Tight lines

Chuck

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Thanks to all for the helpful comments.

Yep, that's the plan, Rapalas for the Browns and Crawlers for the 'Bows. ( Though they've been known to grab each others offerings once in a while )

I also checked the Bureau of Reclamation's website ( http://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/destea.html ) and there doesn't appear to have been a significant drop in Wick's level over the past few days, just the normal drawdown for this time of year. Right now, it's at twice the volume of this time in 2010.

G
GrillMaster
I had the opportunity last year to fish Wickiup with Troutski, take his help - trust him.... I put a personal best Rainbow and Brown in his boat. One of my best weekends on that lake, I still go back and still catch very nice fish. Did you understand when he said "slip bobber" this is the key to his success.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Ahh, no luck for me I'm afraid. Had one nice one on Saturday, broke off, and one hit on Sunday....that was it. ( Both on a slip-bobber rig. Thanks for the tip anyhoo. )

Still. it's Wickiup in the fall. Had a close encounter with an otter, who swam across the Davis arm, close enough to my boat that I could see the bubbles rolling off his fur as he dived. Later, I had a Douglas Squirrel join me for lunch. munching on a pine-cone, just a few feet from the table where I was sitting.

On the way home, I got into some of the best tamales ever, from a stand set up in front to the LaPine country store.

May go back in a couple of weeks and try the Deschutes arm, if the Browns haven't all run up above the 'No fishing' line.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
J
JohnOD
I'm John, Sinkline's friend he mentioned. Indeed Wickiup was slow for me on Sunday. I did see a bankie land a nice sized fish bait fishing in the Davis arm. He was directly across from the big spring... what a beautiful spot!
001-18.jpg

Randy is spot on about being persistent. My (or your) next trip may result in the fish of a lifetime on Wickiup. I like to gaze at the brown in Randy's profile picture for motivation :).

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Sinkline said:
That is a pretty spot John! I wonder if that spring was cooling the water a little in that area? I think (hope) the "bite" is gonna pick-up a little when the water temp. drops a little, it's still awfully warm.

Randy

The answer is, yes it was. Just about the time I was getting ready to wrap it up Sunday, I had two guys in a 14 Aluminum boat pass by me. ( they eventually went all the way to the creek. ) As they were passing by me on the way out, one of them said that the water in that part of the arm was 40 degrees. ( This was late afternoon. )

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Success at last! :)

Went back Saturday and scored a new personal best Brown, 23"...weight unknown.

I was fishing in the Deschutes arm, in the flats just above the North Twin campground Nailed this fish on a drifting worm.

Forgive the hastily snapped pic....but it was all I had time for.

I also caught a 15" Koke using the same method. He also went back, for obvious reasons, but he put up one heck of a nice fight while I had him on.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Sinkline said:
Congrats, that's a beauty!

What does your boat look like?

Randy
Here 'tis

S
Sinkline