Looking for some fish

I
IdahoNative
A couple of weeks ago I went fishing at Hagg Lake for the first time. I used spinners, crankbaits, and power baits..... and nothing. Then I went with a worm and a bobber and caught a ton of fish. The problem was that they were all about 3-4 inches long. I caught about fifteen of them. No matter what I tried, a bigger fish just wouldn't bite. One of my friends went there last week and had the same story. I do not have access to a boat so I am stuck bank fishing. I would appreciate any pointers on Hagg Lake.

Now, I grew up in Idaho and have caught plenty of bass, crappie, and catfish... but have never caught a trout and I would like to. Where are some good places to go within 30-45 minutes of Portland to catch some trout. I am also a novice fly fisherman that would like to get some action. Any tips would be appreciated.

F
fishtales
Keep up the worm and bobber thing and fish with the groups.

There are a bunch of places around Portland. St. Louis Ponds maybe a good one.

F
fishtales
Welcome to the neighborhood.

C
coyo7e
Not to be curt but everything you need is right on the ODFW website, they even have a map to 50 good spots to fish within an hour drive of Portland. I would hate to live in Portland but I am jealous that they've got so much more access to good spots than here in Eugene.. ;)

If you were pulling in fish that were literally 3 or 4 inches long I'd say first off that you ought to be using a little larger of a hook - not enormous but if there's less of a gap between the barb and shaft than you could fit a power egg in between, then that's rather small. Treble hooks also will gut-hook less often if they're of an appropriate size, so despite being a little more likely to poke you removing, you won't have to eviscerate the fish or cut your hook off as often.

Map of fishing near Portland (and other useful stuff including stocking reports etc) :
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/where_how.asp

D
DrTheopolis
It's the time of year when the water warms, and the trout in lakes head to deep water.

So, the easiest way for you to catch one right now would be to chase the stocking truck.

I
IdahoNative
Hahaha. Thanks for the info guys. Well, I guess if it is getting to warm for trout I will go after some bass.

B
Born2Fish55
Scoggins Bass and Panfish bites are still on every morning and evening... dies once the sun hits the water pretty much! Dorman and Bethany Pond Bass are there, but you will need to dig to get them to open their mouth. The Clone Trout (Hatchery) will take just about anything if you get down to where they are hanging out! Vernonia lake has fish, but the water is so low that it sucks!

Ocean fisheries from the shore are still dynamite... Redtail have been fantastic this year and the Jetty fishery is doing fine, just have to know the how, where and when of fishing! Columbia River bites have been available from time to time from the sand at Dibblee and Prescott... that's where I will be tomorrow... seeing if I can pry a Salmon or Steelheads mouth open!