1 4 2 today.

R
rippin fish lips
Okay, If the title bothers any of you, i understand. I just thought it might be a little catchy. After landing 7 Steelhead in June, July and one the very beginning of August, I got super hooked into steelheading. So hooked, I gave up on the trout fishing this year, but still couldnt keep them off my line. Augest rolled around, the heat picked upped and the fish got lock jaw. I didn't give up, i fished everyday at any chance i had, i had hooked 6 steelies and lost them all during august. Skunked for a little over a month.

Determination set in when we got this cooler weather. I started my day at 7 at hayden bridge with only a couple cutties. I wasn't planning on going to far from my home. Then leaberg came to mind, i figured with it being the 15th that most ppl there would go coastal for the coho. I jetted up there with an 8th of a tank of gas left in the jeep. Idk how i made it back home but i did...

Well anyways, i got to this one hole i like to fish, real shallow water with boulders and fast water. Behind this rock i saw this big black torepedo, it was a springer doing its thing. I then see 2 steelhead, one sitting above the salmon and one sitting below closest to the bank. I went for the one below the salmon cuz it was bigger. Put on a number 2 bluefox. Made my casts at it and it wouldnt hit but it would chase my lure. Then i realised i could just strip enough line, hold with my left hand and let line out as i kinda tossed it in the water above the fish. Instead of realing my lure in i stripped line back like you fly fisher peeps do.

After the 3rd cast i see his mouth open and swallow my lure, i set the hook hard and buried all 3. Welded him shut. About a 10 minute fight in shallow water with razor cutter rocks/boulders, overhanging trees and sticks in the water. This fish put up a good fight, not giving up. I thought this fish was gunna kick my a$$! She made it real hard to land her with no net. I tail landed her about 6 times, i would go to grab her gills but she slipped away each time. She took my pole and drug it in the water about 3 feet. I had no choice but to dive for my gear, waders on and everything. I managed to just bairly grab my pole. Game on again!

After getting her back and in my tight grip i gave her the "fisht of fury" and ripped her gills. Put her on the tag. Moved down river to give that hole a rest with not a strike at all. I moved my way back up river to the previous hole, first cast and Fish on!! Sadly i made the mistake of putting a rusty hook on my my lure to replace a previously broken one. The fish bolted down stream, turned around and ran strait at me causing slack in the line. I got the slack out and thought i would be good when my lure came flyin back at me. The darn fish broke my hook! A mistake i will learn from! 29 inch cookie cutter hen. She sure wast a bright fish when i landed her.

729_2085697539612_1160343184_31957437_1974216003_n.jpg

575_2085700619689_1160343184_31957440_1358951869_n.jpg

S
skunk
Nice job!

brandon4455
brandon4455
excellent fish!!! hell of a steelie man. :clap:

R
RunWithSasquatch
Nice fish dude.

F
flipper
Wow. Nice fish man. Slapping my face silly for not heading back up there this evening...

R
rippin fish lips
The evening bite has been slow but there is fish rolling in the evening, chasing my presentations but not biting them. Go early in the mornings.

M
Mad dog
Very nice! Great looking fish! :clap:

I love sight fishing steelhead in the summer! :dance:

N
natro
Nice story man, and nice fish too.

R
rippin fish lips
Mad dog said:
I love sight fishing steelhead in the summer! :dance:

its so fun!! Its my fav way to fish for them. I think im gunna get into creak fishing for the winters!

T
Thuggin4Life
What a hog you are. I need to go out and do some bank fishing with you. I kinda gav up on the local runs a few years back but you make me want to believe again.