Anyone interested in fishing the Clack?

EOBOY
EOBOY
On Wed. Rosemary babysits the Grandkids. I want to float from Barton to Carver on Wed. and need someone to sit up front and fish. I have floated it many times and know the river but have only floated it a couple of times to fish. If it is not worth it this time of year tell me. I have a 17 foot Old towne Tripper which is a river canoe.

Dana

troutdude
troutdude
I've seen recent reports of steel, and now also springers, in the Clack. Give it a shot!

J
JonT
What is a CFS that is too low to consider in a drift boat?

S
steelhead_slayer
Do you have room for two?

D
DrTheopolis
JonT said:

We've always gone by gauge height. Getting down to 11.2 sucks, but marginally do-able if you're willing to hop out and drag on occasion. Below that, leave it at home. Too much skinny, and boat-gakks aren't out of the question.

Pontoons always work there (easy to drag).

EOBOY
EOBOY
please explain too much skinny, and boat-gakks?

EOBOY
EOBOY
JonT said:

It shows 11.1 DFS so as Doc says we may have to push!!!!!!!!!!

Dana

EOBOY
EOBOY
steelhead_slayer said:
Do you have room for two?

I found out I have promised the kids I would take them to Hagg on Wed. so hope we can do the Clack on Thur. instead. I'm game for 3 if JonT has room.

Dana

D
DrTheopolis
EOBOY said:
please explain too much skinny, and boat-gakks?

"Skinny" = "Thin" = shallow water.

"Boat-gakks" = dents, dings, scratches, etc.

If you travel light and are willing to get out here and there, it can be done.

GO EARLY, since by midday or so, the rubber-hatch is in full swing, and there's more K-Mart Coffins than water surface. While the eye-candy is outstanding, the problem is the splash-and-giggle/litterbug crew knows nothing of boating etiquette, and they won't give your oars enough room to get yourself set up to run the deepest water, which you need in a driftboat.

I haven't been on the Clack in a month, but the cops were supposed to be dropping the iron fist on the Idiot Armada, which hopefully cleans that zoo up a bit. If you bring beer to Barton/Carver, stow it well in the boat before you go -- you're not supposed to have alcohol in those parks (no such sign up at Feldheimer's, I believe), and they reserve the right to inspect for it, but grown men in a driftboat aren't who they're looking for.

Should be a few decent springers around, and summers should be spread out everywhere.

B
bagold53
I myself am hoping to go down tomorrow on my pontoon. If anyone's interested in a Mcinver to Barton run and have there own boats let me know we can coordinate. Since atm I will be going myself, it would be nice to have company and I would feel safer, since it will be my second time running a river and first for Mciver to Barton.

D
DrTheopolis
If you put in at Upper McIver, at the ramp, head to the far bank immediately, and hug it until the first wave, then start cutting left. Nasty hydraulic behind the big boulder in the first rapid (right below the upper ramp) in low water. Other than that, keep the nose downstream and you'll be fine (although you might stop and take a look at the Minefield, directly below the deep hole at Dog Creek, which is just down from the upper launch, and there will be a bunch of people fishing there -- be polite, or they'll shoot you). There's a couple of ways through the Minefield in low water, and if you take a look, you'll figure it out. Everything else is pretty basic -- nose-to-danger, and backrow away from it.

B
bagold53
DrTheopolis said:
If you put in at Upper McIver, at the ramp, head to the far bank immediately, and hug it until the first wave, then start cutting left. Nasty hydraulic behind the big boulder in the first rapid (right below the upper ramp) in low water. Other than that, ....

Thanks for the info. I will scout before going out.

M
mikeee2362
How did you do bagold53?

B
bagold53
mikeee2362 said:
How did you do bagold53?

Finally the few stars left in the Portland sky aligned an I was able to Run the McIver to Barton run with a friend. a lot of fun with the exception of the first rapids out of the boat ramp soaked everything I forgot to take out of the pockets. So phone, wallet and smokes got soaked, was able to save everything. other than that the float was a lot of fun.

Now on to the fishing. Since I am a very poor fisherman, I am at the point that if I can see the fish I have scored and there are a lot of fishes out there. Just very few interested in what I was throwing at them. Had a few quick hits and a lot of smaller trout hits.

I have a question while going down after Milo there seemed to be an access point along the river, I think we tracked the road to be S Feldheimer Rd. does anyone know if this is public access?

Ben

D
DrTheopolis
Feldheimer is public. Good stretch to fish, and good place to launch a drift boat.

B
bagold53
Thanks for the info. I might try for a run from McIver to Feldheimer. That way I can spend more time on the holes between, instead of rushing to finish at Barton.

EOBOY
EOBOY
bagold53 said:
Thanks for the info. I might try for a run from McIver to Feldheimer. That way I can spend more time on the holes between, instead of rushing to finish at Barton.

Bagold53:

I see you live in Bev. I live in Hillsboro. Don't know you're Sit. but after Tues. next week I would be up to float. Hard to hook up a 2nd car for the ferry.

What is the float time from McIver to Feldheimer? I have a take out just around the FishWheel hole don't know how far apart they are. Also I don't know how easy the take out would be at FishWheel. You're using a toon right?

EOBOY

B
bagold53
EOBOY said:
Bagold53:

I see you live in Bev. I live in Hillsboro. Don't know you're Sit. but after Tues. next week I would be up to float. Hard to hook up a 2nd car for the ferry.

What is the float time from McIver to Feldheimer? I have a take out just around the FishWheel hole don't know how far apart they are. Also I don't know how easy the take out would be at FishWheel. You're using a toon right?

EOBOY

The float time is not very long. I think Fekdheimer is a little after McIver park. I want to say we hit it in less than 3 hours. I want to say 2. As for the FishWheel hole I am not sure were that one is.

Will send PM with personal info.