Depot Bay whale encounter

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Saturday out of Depot Bay there was a huge kayak rock fishing tournament, 111 people entered, top prize a $2000 Hobie Kayak and a place on the 5 person US team for the Hobie World Kayak Fishing Championship later this year in Amsterdam...

"Spot", an administrator over at NWKA forum (northwestkayakanglers.com), had a gray whale drive-by and he got it on video and it is freakin' awesome, especially the slo-mo that starts at 0:20:

http://vimeo.com/100674892

Spot: "I'm always telling people that whales are very curious but go out of their way to avoid hurting the puny humans. Well, here's proof. I have to admit though, when I saw that beast coming at me at full speed, I wasn't sure he'd be able to avoid a collision. Notice me scooting forward a little to bail should we make contact."

FYI- the winner of ORC2014 was Kenneth Dicken who caught a 19pound 14oz Lingcod!

cheers, roger

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Awesome barely describes it! I wonder what a heart monitor would have shown...Thanks for sharing the adventure! :thumb:

N
navanafti
Wow. That's completely amazing. I would be awestruck if that were me.

B
billfisher
Wow! What a cool experience! Thanks for sharing it. That's a huge turnout, do you know the total fish count?

bass
bass
What a cool video. Thanks for sharing. My dry suit would not be dry after that :)

Last edited:
B
billfisher
Thanks C_Run, looks like some good fishing!

M
mikeee2362
Yikes!!

T
TimberTodd
What an experience!!

L
lilsalmon
That scared me and I am sitting on my couch...hehe.

T
TimberTodd
I am guessing he would have taken home the new Hobie and scored a spot on the team if he had hooked and landed it. He would have needed a bigger net though.

C_Run
C_Run
billfisher said:
Thanks C_Run, looks like some good fishing!

I don't know everyone's name but there are at least two OFFers on that list.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
TimberTodd said:
I am guessing he would have taken home the new Hobie and scored a spot on the team if he had hooked and landed it. He would have needed a bigger net though.

yes exactly, I love it, imagine back at the weigh in station "no honest, it is a rock fish! a gray-cabe-whale-zon thing, a really really big one!"....:lol:

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
TimberTodd said:

If that had happened; the coast guard would still be out lookin' for him (being dragged by a whale)! LOL

Markk
Markk
rogerdodger said:
Saturday out of Depot Bay there was a huge kayak rock fishing tournament, 111 people entered, top prize a $2000 Hobie Kayak and a place on the 5 person US team for the Hobie World Kayak Fishing Championship later this year in Amsterdam...

"Spot", an administrator over at NWKA forum (northwestkayakanglers.com), had a gray whale drive-by and he got it on video and it is freakin' awesome, especially the slo-mo that starts at 0:20:

http://vimeo.com/100674892

Spot: "I'm always telling people that whales are very curious but go out of their way to avoid hurting the puny humans. Well, here's proof. I have to admit though, when I saw that beast coming at me at full speed, I wasn't sure he'd be able to avoid a collision. Notice me scooting forward a little to bail should we make contact."

FYI- the winner of ORC2014 was Kenneth Dicken who caught a 19pound 14oz Lingcod!

cheers, roger
very cool! Thanks for the post

J
JeannaJigs
Rad video! The whales are pretty active lately it seems, I saw somewhere yesterday, photos of a group of gray whales at the mouth of the rogue, a couple actually went up the river a bit.

T
troutmasta
I havent watched the video yet, Im still imagining landing and dispatching a 20 pound ling while on a kayak. Video review to follow.

Video: Super cool. Love foggy mornings on the the big P.

F
fishtales
It looks like he was having a whale of a time!:lol:

Top Bottom