Ocean producing salmon

Irishrover
Irishrover
The other boats at my dock have been having good luck out by the CR buoy for silvers. West basin marina and Hammon reports are the same. Boats are picking up an occassional chinook to boot! I wanted to test out the river up from the Astoria bridge. It was a bust. Looks like it will be an all ocean show for the next few weeks until they fish move into the river.

D
DrTheopolis
I went with a new fishing friend out of Garibaldi this morning. Catch is, while the captain knows how to run a boat, we're newbies when it comes to ocean trolling for salmon. Met people at the ramp who gave us pointers to correct our mistake (not quite deep enough water). Still had 3 takedowns, landed one wild fish.

We'll go again in the next few days (probably), and knock'em dead... like everyone else out of Garibaldi did today.

Hopefully we'll get out, anyway -- right as we set up at the can and lined it up, there was a slightly submerged chunk of lumber (looked like a 2X8 from a dock, with the rubber guard on it). 3 guys watching intently, still didn't see it... whacked the prop and jammed it, right at the jaws. Rather impressively, all 3 of us just barely retained clean shorts. Lucky the bar was flat (flatter than the ocean, which seemed weird). In a rough bar, that could have been an issue. Tried to grab the (now 2) pices, but couldn't, and wasn't going to start doing 180's in the jaws on a bent prop.

Sure seems to be a ton of coho out there.

And I'm pretty sure we saw someone proudly display their one coho to the fish-checker... fin and all. I didn't see the outcome, but I don't think it ended well.

J
JonT
I have gas/beer money.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Glad it turned out ok. That could be a disaster on a bad bar. What was your trolling speed. Coho like a fast troll at least 2mph. Find the pods of other boats they should be where the fish are. Fish the top part of the water, 16 pulls or less should do it. What are you using, hoochies, anchoovies, herring? I'm sure you will get it dialed in good luck.

D
DrTheopolis
We were running flasher, hootchie, with a chunk of herring. Used divers, since we realized the downrigger balls were still in the garage.

Talking to the people at the marina that weren't a-holes, seems our problem was not fishing deep enough water (we were at about 150, were later told by more than one person to work the 180' line), and not trolling quite fast enough. Pretty sure our learning curve will be quick. Appreciate the tips.

er (in quantity) while fishing, not sure even my zealous lust for beer could keep it down on a rough ocean. Eating before going out isn't always the best idea.

E
eugene1
DrTheopolis said:
er (in quantity) while fishing, not sure even my zealous lust for beer could keep it down on a rough ocean. Eating before going out isn't always the best idea.

They make a pill for that.

D
DrTheopolis
I do fine, as long as my stomach is fairly empty. Not sure slamming beers would gel with the constant rolling/pounding.

D
DrTheopolis
Additionally, if there's any chop/swells at all, any impairment to one's sense of balance might make for a long, bruised-up day. Don't get me wrong -- I'll get straight tanked on a driftboat or on the bay if I don't have to drive a shuttle or the boat, but just doesn't seem too wise on the briny.

A
alm21
If you get an opportunity to go out, take advantage of it. We went Saturday and were done by 11:00a (launched out of Ilwaco). 12-20 with only one being wild. First fish came before all rods were out and last was a double so we had to release a hatchery fish to finish the day. Count down to next Sat has begun.

BD46524D-58EF-435B-BD45-D234A7C848AF_zpsw2v5gneo.jpg

9C0D4498-80DB-417B-A57C-4ED638CB5E46_zpst7kycjnq.jpg

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Nice silvers alm!

A
alm21
DrTheopolis said:
We'll go again in the next few days (probably), and knock'em dead... like everyone else out of Garibaldi did today.

I hope you're dropping crab pots too. Reports have been good.

D
DrTheopolis
We dropped 2, and they were pretty full. About 12 keepers, I think. Besides the much longer pull of a much heavier trap, ocean crabbing and bay crabbing are different. Hardly had any females, and the ratio of keepers doesn't compare.

Hooking the buoy rope is good sport, too.

A
alm21
Ocean crabbing is where it's at.

61870049-CDF4-4CD6-95F7-EDE491BE331A_zpsaab9i9ql.jpg

F
fishtales
I also went out (of Newport) yesterday and got my 2 salmon. Lots of fish being caught.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Dr T.......if you get a wee bit sea sick try those patches. My wife gets sea sick unless she put on one of those presciption patchs. Then she is just fine. They have been doing the job for her for 26 years out on the bummpy water. The information you got on the water depth is right on. I'll fish for silver in 180 to 240 feet of water. I start out at 20 pulls and work up until we are into the fish. This is goint to be an awsome year!

Alm.....wow that cooler has quite the load of crabs, and those fish are looking good too. As for the boat is that a 30' plus alumaweld pacific? I think I've seen some pictures of her what a beautiful boat and a great fishing platform. I'l be looking for her next time I go out.

Irishrover
Irishrover
That ocean is still producing fish. Left the slip at 8am. Went to the Longbeach Peninsula. Four of on the boat fished for an hour. Caught 12 coho, released 4 and kept 8. Back tied up at the slip by 11am. The ocean was choppy and not an easy patch of water to fish but the fishing was outstanding.

C
CoastalMoe
Congrats on the great fishing... I will be on the coast soon and hope to get a shot at them myself....