Are there still fish out there?

H
HRxPaperStacks
Hey guys!
So I usually fish the mainstem Santiam at the I-5 rest area between Salem and Albany. At what point should I skip that and hit the forks? And then, which fork should I go to? I just want ONE steelhead/salmon this season.... just one..... :(

C_Run
C_Run
The Willamette Falls fish counts still show a couple of hundred summer steelhead per day coming through plus some springers. It seems reasonable that you could still get them down low by the freeway. I go down by the freeway once in a while. Have you had any luck there? Usually I have spotted fish passing by but , so far, only have lost a few the last couple of years. Keep your line in the water.

H
HRxPaperStacks
Thanks for the reply! That makes me a happy man lol. I have had a bite... but I rigged my plunking rig incorrectly and the salmon grabbed the eggsack and ripped it off the hook without getting the hook in her mouth. I have learned from that now though lol. Now I mainly drift bobbers after I traded another OFFer for an AWESOME set up. :)

jamisonace
jamisonace
Go to the south fork. I don't know the river very well but I would explore Waterloo if I was looking for my first Santiam steelhead.

H
HRxPaperStacks
jamisonace said:
Go to the south fork. I don't know the river very well but I would explore Waterloo if I was looking for my first Santiam steelhead.
That's kinda what I was thinking.... I just hate to drive that far. I have only ever had success right below the dam at Foster, however I have seen some steelhead at Waterloo but I would have to battle swimmers.