Completed rainbow carving

T
techguy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJJAstUtkxs

20140710_144353.jpg20140710_144334.jpg20140710_144322.jpg

I completed the rainbow carving the the Spin Doctor originally posted. I'm very pleased with the outcome, and I hope you are also. With the rain coming, I'm heading towards my next carving this weekend. I will be starting a large scale study of a small brook trout in hand.

Thanks,
Techguy

Reactions: igquick
E
eugene1
That is pretty cool!

troutdude
troutdude
Very impressive!

S
sapo
Amazing!!

T
TimberTodd
You've got some talent there techguy.

T
techguy
TimberTodd said:
You've got some talent there techguy.

Thanks everyone! It seems the greatest fear we may face isn't the death of our body, or the pain of abuse. It may be the fear we will have to look back at this life and realize we didn't at least try to reach our dreams. You folks, are helping me reach for mine, and I AM GRATEFUL. Thank you for taking a moment to reply and comment. Positive stokes the fire... Criticism gets the stone out and helps sharpen the chisel putting an even better work on the wall next time. I don't want to look over my shoulder to my near future past and see I missed the effort of the reach to my potential. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!

E
eugene1
Did you base that carving on an actual photo? If so, maybe you can post it?

Best,

I
igquick
Wow that is pretty impressive. At first look at this thread, I thought you posted REAL pictures of a trout and it fooled me. Great job!

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
:thumb::worthy:

That is gorgeous work!

T
techguy
study pictures

study pictures

eugene1 said:
Did you base that carving on an actual photo? If so, maybe you can post it?

Best,

I based this carving from a photo I liked the context/content of, did a pen and ink study, then a small test of the scales and colors, then this final carving. I like pictures that show something more than some huge trophy, but rather have a story or thoughtful purpose for taking the picture. I think the guy just liked the fish, so he took a picture of it.
Here is the original photo
BigHoleRiverRainbowTrout.jpg
Here is the pen and ink
2014-02-05_21-15-55_503.jpg2014-02-07_21-35-17_489.jpg2014-02-16_20-43-38_149.jpg0322140814a.jpg
Here is the scale study
scale study.jpg

T
TimberTodd
From the start (pen study) to the finished product, how long did it take you? Again great work.

T
techguy
TimberTodd said:
From the start (pen study) to the finished product, how long did it take you? Again great work.
Well, The carving took about 170 hours, and the pen I guess about 40.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Stunning work! I spend hours at my art table without giving a thought to the time spent on getting a drawing as close to my idea of perfection as possible. The idea of taking it to the plane you did makes my head spin. You have a wonderful gift and we're all glad you chose to use the beautiful rainbow as your subject. Thank you for sharing. :thumb:

T
techguy
Raincatcher said:
Stunning work! I spend hours at my art table without giving a thought to the time spent on getting a drawing as close to my idea of perfection as possible. The idea of taking it to the plane you did makes my head spin. You have a wonderful gift and we're all glad you chose to use the beautiful rainbow as your subject. Thank you for sharing. :thumb:

Wow, thank you! I can't wait to do the brookie next.

L
LuckyFisher
Unbelievable! I see you added the ripples that I mentioned in your first post. This is truly amazing work!