Oregon fishing license

B
BoroBass
I bought my Oregon residence fishing license, and the new Columbia endorsement for steelhead salmon and sturgeon. I've fished the Clackamas a few times so far catching one small stealie that I let go.

My question is, do I have to get the hatchery harvest tag to take home a sizable fin clipped trout from trillium lake, or am I set to go with the Oregon license and Columbia endorsement? I didn't have the extra 15 bucks for it when I got my license, Ill end up getting it for harvesting steelhead and salmon for the very least. But Ill get it asap if I need to harvest any trout, or kokanee and fin clipped anything.

Sorry for the simple question, I'm just new to this. I've been trying to find answers but haven't found much. I just don't want to take a fish home I'm not suppose to.

Thanks!

J
JonT
Your Oregon freshwater fishing license covers all lakes (unless specified as closed), so you are good to keep trout. The endorsement covers you for salmon and steelhead on Oregon-side Columbia river tributaries. Washington-side requires a Washington endorsement. You should have received a tag with the endorsement - it covers adipose fin-clipped salmon and steelhead. Check specific lake regulations to be sure you are legal.

Reactions: BoroBass
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
the first tag you need to keep salmon, steelhead, halibut, or sturgeon is the "Combined Angling Tag", $26.50. You must buy this tag to fish for any of these species and if you keep a fish, this is where you write the details to "tag" the fish and having done this, you are legally allowed to have that dead fish in the field.

for salmon/steelhead, you are allowed to tag 20 adults per year. provided they are retained correctly under the rules where you are fishing, you can tag either wild or hatchery fish on your Combined tag. This tag is the only one that you can put wild fish on.

the Hatchery Tag is an extra tag only for hatchery salmon/steelhead, it allows 10 to be tagged, and it can only be purchased after you already have a Combined tag.

so to fish for salmon or steelhead, whether you plan to retain them or not, you must get a Combined Angling tag. unless you plan to keep a whole bunch of hatchery fish, that is all you need.

kokanee are retained under the trout limit, no tags required, and some lakes have the extra 25/day kokanee limit added on top of the trout limit...

cheers, roger

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
this is an important part of the regs:
--------------
Tags:
Combined Angling Tag (Adult: 18 and older)
(Annual Tag to fish for salmon, steelhead,
sturgeon and Pacific halibut.)
--------------
notice it does not say the Combined Angling Tag is required to RETAIN these fish, it is required to FISH for them...

Reactions: BoroBass
T
twout
Boro the only one you need to fish for trout in Trillium lake is your Annual Resident Angling license, that's it nothing more.

B
BoroBass
Thanks allot guys! Hopefully ill have some nice trout to bring home to test out my new smoker I built! Never been to trillium so im hoping it will be a good time. Thanks again guys.

God im happy I have that manual now. Exactly what I needed.

F
fish face
Oregon fishing license question

My friend has a son who is 17 years old will turn 18 in a few months. Okay, he told me that the juvenile fishing license is good for the calendar year. I say that he needs a Adult fishing license the moment he turns 18 if he intends on fishing after his birthday. Who is right?

troutdude
troutdude
In the reg book is the following statement:

"A Youth Under 14 Angling License, is valid only for youths age 13 or younger. Youths wishing to angle, after turning 14, must first purchase a Juvenile Angling License prior to angling."

Ergo, one could safely assume that the same stipulation applies; when one turns 18 (must, therefore, have an Adult Angling License).

A call to ODFW, would certainly provide you with the most accurate answer.

S
sapo
I'm confused...I went to Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor, a week after turning 14, to get my license. They told me I already had it and didn't have to renew it. I told them I just turned 14 so would need to purchase a license, but they refused to get me one because they said I already had one...? Might be a mistake on their part, but a big one.

P
playhooky
Well Sapo.....perhaps you could go over the part of the fee schedule for licenses on page 3 of the regs with the staff at Fishermans. Seems like ODF&W spells it out very clearly under the Qualifications column: Youths wishing to continue angling after turning age 14 must first purchase a Juvenile Angling License prior to angling. You won't be confused if the fish cop checks you....I'm sure he'd give you some paper that says "Angling without proper permits.....$250 fine".......or something along those lines. You'll want to have your license on your person.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Did anyone find in the Regs where it explains what to do when turning 18? Under 14yo gets a free license, then buys a 14-17 license on their birthday that year...no worries. But 17yo buys a 14-17 license and then buys an adult license on their 18th birthday? That makes no sense and I can't find it in the regs- it seems to me that at 17yo on Jan.1 of the year, you either buy a juvenile license and it is good all year or you buy an adult license for the year you are going to turn 18.

There is something under Combined Angling Tags that is similar, they are good the entire year regardless of whether your birthday that year pushes you up a level (there is also a typo- the up to 13 tag is free)...

F
fish face
I called the ODFW and yes, once an person turns 18 an adult fishing licenses is necessary. No surprise. I wish I would have asked if a juvenile could buy an adult fishing license prior to being 18. I'll find out soon enough.

This leads me to thinking that of all the years I've been fishing, I have only been asked twice to see my fishing license. Both times in the Eugene area.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
based on that info, it makes sense that someone who is 17 as of Jan1 would buy an adult license for that year. It should be spelled out better in the regulations to make that clear.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Just a quick License check story.
Sometime back, when I was still a working man, I would always or almost anyway, buy my Ca lic. as soon as they came on sale so as to be ready to go at the first chance.
One fine crisp January morning, my regular fishing buddy and I were out at Silverwood Lake doing the bait and wait from his boat when we were approached by a CF&G warden and asked for our license.
We readily complied but when I pulled out my license it was last years expired issue. I had let it slip my mind and wasn't current.
Well I was embarrassed enough to have let it get past me but to get caught fishing without was a terrible situation from my viewpoint. The warden wasn't too pleased with me either. But in my favor I was carrying in my wallet licenses from the previous few years I showed him along with the dates showing I was diligent about getting it.
I was fortunate that instead of just writing me up, he allowed us to stop fishing and return to the doc where I immediately ran down to the closest store and renewed my license, then returned to the lake to continue our pursuit of stripped bass.
That's a rare thing in Ca. to encounter a LEO that is more interested in making sure the law is followed than in generating revenue.

S
sapo
Well...I have an update too, ON FISHERMAN'S. I emailed them and told them about the incident and their manager called, and they waived my new license, saying it was their mistake. Turns out they called ODFW 3 different times with 3 different agents answering...And got three different answers! Way to go, state..I guess ODFW doesn't know their own regs either. They eventually cleared it up and I'm happy with them for waiving it.
Moral of the story is: Know the regs!!

F
fish face
That's a rare thing in Ca. to encounter a LEO that is more interested in making sure the law is followed than in generating revenue

I would say that its rare in any state, but then again you did say that it was long ago. I had heard / read that California requires an angler to display their fishing license outside of their garments. Is this true?

plumbertom
plumbertom
It was. They did require that a up til about three or four years ago. Then they dropped the requirement and you now just have to have it in your possession.
The reasoning was that they could check license with field glasses without having to contact the angler. My best guess is they just weren't able to write enough tickets without checking rigging and baits as well as making sure the license was for the person using it.

C
ChezJfrey
Frankly, that was my suspicion...that even ODFW personnel would likely provide conflicting answers. Then, you could also very likely get several different LEO response, even if ODFW had provided you 'the answer'. I always take a name, number and note the date/time I speak with someone that answers a query I might have; I did this when I got permission to walk on some Clackamas County property that is marked 'No Trespassing'. I still have that name, date, time, number from 3 years ago of that person so that I can provide it if I ever get approached.

F
fish face
ABSOULTY!!! Not just when it comes to fishing--but anything. Always get a name. One time it actually help me in a car rental dispute years back.