Steelhead / trout question

U
Username
A lot of people use a corky for steelhead fishing. But trout don't seem to go for them. And a lot of people use worms for trout but not steelhead. Why do they go for different things when they are the same kind of fish just in different size.

S
seekanddestory
It is the color and when the steelhead moves in trout moves out when the big boys come in ( salmon ) the steelhead moves out.

T
Throbbit _Shane
My first steelhead came on a night crawler. Many people use pink worms for steelhead as well. In the summer people will catch steelhead while trout fishing its not unheard of. They both will hit many lures.

S
seekanddestory
A a night crawler with a #4 hook and a little pink yarn with shrimp scent

B
bigboy70
trout hit corkies seen it last week lol lil fiesty guy when fishing for steelhead. Also cutthroats seem to love corkies the misses got a few nice ones last winter. I hear of lots of people tipping whatever with night crawler. I once caught a summer steelhead in northfork res trolling with a green wedding ring tipped with a worm. Also a bunch of other variables like how you were brought up fishing and whats hitting right now people tend to stay in there comfort zone where for both trout and steelhead I believe it pays off to be different just my 2 cents

B
bigboy70
Also not trying to disrespect or anything but I've seen trout mingle with steelhead a few times sometimes a pesky trout will tick a steelie off but for the most part they seem to be alright with each other a lot of the time trout push the steelies around. Salmon on the other hand will kill trout no doubt and the push steelhead either out of the hole or to the back of the hole. Just what I've seen and a few anglers have verified for me

E
eugene1
Little off topic, but following up on what bigboy said.

The small male trout will hang around steelies and spawn with the the steelhead females. The male trout are called "sneakers". Genetic studies have shown that the male trout are successful as some of the steelhead in future years share half their DNA with the trout.

Best,