Pontoon or drift boat?

F
Fish_Hunter1
Hey guys. i am wondering what the pros and cons are for a drift boat either fiberglass or aluminum. and the pros and cons for the big pontoons for a good allaround boat.

E
eugene1
Pontoons/rafts can go through shallow sketchy water better than a hard side boat.

Drifters are more comfortable if the water levels are deep enough and they won't "pop".

Ideally, get one of each as well as a sled.

Best,

O
OnTheDrop
eugene1 said:
Pontoons/rafts can go through shallow sketchy water better than a hard side boat.

Drifters are more comfortable if the water levels are deep enough and they won't "pop".

Ideally, get one of each as well as a sled.

Best,

What he said!

U
ulua
Pontoons/rafts can't back troll plugs, also very dangerous anchoring a pontoon boat in flowing river. The only plus for pontoon/raft are they can go in skinny water and are light enough to move around. Get a drift boat first and then later on get either a toon or raft.

1 nut in the water
I've had a drift boat for a year now and have yet to put it in a river besides tidewater on the Siuslaw. I would much rather use my pontoon in a river to access all of the good steelhead water. 6-8 miles of river is very easy to cover as a hardware chucker. No need to ever anchor- You just become a very mobile bank fisherman.
Simply drop off the bike on the way in and spend the day floating back to it, no need to worry about a ramp.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I agree with the other post. Drift boat first then later a pontoon. If you winter fish you can run a heater in a drift boat. I have a 16 foot clackacraft DB and thought about getting a 16 foot pontoon. I went on a couple of guide trips on the Sandy and changed my mind. I like the way you can lay your gear out in a drift boat. It having sides and all just makes it easier to put your gear out.

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
What will be the main purpose of the boat? What do you usually fish for? If you do a lot of winter fishing a drift boat is really nice because it gets you up out of the river and you can have a propane heater. Summer time pontoons are really nice because your right on the water and can get cooled down real easy. Do you fish by yourself usually or with people? Drift boats are best used with you and at least one other person. But then if the person up front can't row you'll be doing all the work if you pull plugs or if have to row a lot. There really isn't a best all around boat. Go with a boat that suites you and your fishing the best.

Reactions: Irishrover
F
Fish_Hunter1
Yeah i mostly fish in the spring, summer, and fall. Thanks for all the input. i will save up for both and now what are good brands for pontoons rafts and driftboats?

Irishrover
Irishrover
You can probably get a good deal on a used drift boat. Willie Boats, Diamond Back, Clackacraft, there are a ton of good brands to choose from.

E
eugene1
What rivers do you want to use the boat in? Also what area of the rivers?

Fish_Hunter1 said:
Yeah i mostly fish in the spring, summer, and fall. Thanks for all the input. i will save up for both and now what are good brands for pontoons rafts and driftboats?

D
DrTheopolis
A lightly-loaded driftboat will draw 4-5 inches. A pontoon/cataraft doesn't really save you much there, although they undoubtedly handle skinny water better.

Ask 10 people what the best driftboat is, and you'll get 10 different answers. Aluminum vs. fiberglass, Willie vs. Alumaweld, the debate goes on forever. But I'd recommend getting the biggest one you can, which is somewhat counterintuitive -- but bigger, especially wider, is more buoyant, and draws less water. I've yet to be on a driftboat where I thought a smaller one would be any advantage.

F
Fish_Hunter1
on the sandy from oxbow down and on the clackamas
yeah thanks Doc i was just wanting to see what some good opinions were

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Don't know how much experience you have rowing? I got an old aluminum DB couple years ago with my brother inlaw that we could "bounce" around while learning. Just picked up a one man cataraft for low water fishing on upper Sandy and Clackamas. DB has WAY more room but can't go where the 'toon can.

Doc is right about boat opinions, all my purchases were financially based.