Pontoon flipping video! Umpqua 2014!!!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Spent the weekend with three of my best buddies on the Umpqua River camping, fishing, floating and having a kick ass time!! Fishing was good as usual, I might make a full report later. Or I just might make one when I get from the trip im doing with Berg on the same section less then a week from now. But anywho made this thread for the video I took of my good friend and OFF member TTFishOn. He finally decided to man up and go down the two big rapids that are on this section, the first one he did fine. The Second rapid he for some reason didn't take the advice me and Dave aka FinniusPoleBender gave right before while scouting it out. At least the water is warm and he had his life jacket on and most of his stuff was secured to the pontoon. All in all it was a lot of fun to watch, and Ted even had a blast and wanted to do it again, lol. When you watch the video change the settings for a better quality video.

B
billfisher
Nice video, looks like fun! Waiting for the full report and MORE PICS! HA HA. Thanks!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great video, I bet Ted listens to you guys the next time...:thumb: :lol:

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for posting the video Shane. Good luck on your trip next week.

E
eugene1
That water looks great.

Why did Ted steer into that rock? LOL.

When you're on the stix, got to get lined up ahead of time.

Looks like fun & glad he was fine.

Best,

1 nut in the water
HAHAHA- that's good footage!
Seems like i recall gathering someone else's gear from the water just below there not long ago.....

T
TTFishon
It's not that I didn't listen to you guys. It happened pretty fast and to be quite honest, I didn't care if I flipped it or not. I felt pretty secure with my life jacket, warm water, and the fact that I can swim. I got sucked under twice. A couple of kicks and I was back to the top. Good times man, I want to do it again!!!

Reactions: eugene1
C_Run
C_Run
Glad you lived to tell about it.

D
DrTheopolis
I assume the advice was "nose to danger, row backwards from it"?

Yeah, he didn't do that. He will next time.

Fun stuff.

troutdude
troutdude
Looks like you had a great ride Ted! And it's a cheaper thrill than Disneyland!

It was fun to watch the video Shane. Thanks for sharing.

Word: PFD is always the way to go on a stream (more so, in rapids like those). Glad you had one on; and are able to do it again.

T
Throbbit _Shane
1 nut in the water said:
HAHAHA- that's good footage!
Seems like i recall gathering someone else's gear from the water just below there not long ago.....

Gee I wonder who that could be... :D

DrTheopolis said:
I assume the advice was "nose to danger, row backwards from it"?

Yeah, he didn't do that. He will next time.

Fun stuff.

The main thing for this one is to keep straight and when you get into the hole lean forward and give a power push forward if you feel the boat stopping in the rapid. lol

D
DrTheopolis
Throbbit _Shane said:
The main thing for this one is to keep straight and when you get into the hole lean forward and give a power push forward if you feel the boat stopping in the rapid. lol

Don't know what size toons you're in, but in my experience in an 8', there's much leaning to and fro as you ride over waves, since they don't balance themselves well. But get them sideways and hit a bump... not so good. Never flipped one myself, but seen it done, just about how things went with you guys. As long as the gear was secured and the PFD in use, no big deal. His only issue was not getting the feet downstream quick enough after leaving the boat (which for newer whitewater folk, this is extremely important).

You guys had a blast.

D
DrTheopolis
Super-awesome pic.

That's bigger than any rapid I've been through in the 8' Creek Co. The one with the larger tubes is pretty stable, the smaller (still 8') one that fits in a big backpack is a little less buoyant, but I'm a little on the skinny side, so it works. We always just strap a plastic milk crate on the back, and have a bungee/cover setup to keep stuff in, and strap the rod down before big stuff. Works OK.

I was quite confident in my ability to negotiate just about any rapid in the 8', but your pics/vid has me questioning that.

T
Throbbit _Shane
DrTheopolis said:
Super-awesome pic.

That's bigger than any rapid I've been through in the 8' Creek Co. The one with the larger tubes is pretty stable, the smaller (still 8') one that fits in a big backpack is a little less buoyant, but I'm a little on the skinny side, so it works. We always just strap a plastic milk crate on the back, and have a bungee/cover setup to keep stuff in, and strap the rod down before big stuff. Works OK.

I was quite confident in my ability to negotiate just about any rapid in the 8', but your pics/vid has me questioning that.

[video=youtube;gYi2ccQ-YzY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYi2ccQ-YzY[/video]

This is my old Creek Co. and the section we do only has these two bad rapids everything else is a easy sailing. But before going down these I make sure everything is secure and I scout it, and wear my pfd. First time through when I flipped I didn't have it on and got lucky I didn't get beat up on the rocks or even worse.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Just put together a little video from that 4th of July weekend camping float on the Umpqua River. These clips are of the two and only rapids we have to worry about on the section we float. First two clips are me, and last two are TTfishon. Ill do a fishing report soon. Have spent 3 nights and 5 days on the river so far this summer, and fishing is good! And it's only the beginning!

Last edited: