New to the area need some advice

T
TwoShoes
I'm new to the Portland area and I'm looking to fish the Sandy this weekend. I'm sure it's going to be packed as most rivers are with Steelhead running right now. I've fished the Williamson River down in Southern Oregon the last 2 years for Rainbow Trout. I fly fish with a 9ft #7 mostly and sometimes use my spinning rod.

What are some good locations to park to fish the river? I'm not looking for your secret spot, I just need a place to get started and I will explore other parts of the river on another day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum! I have no experience whatsoever fishing the Sandy, so I have no specific advice for you. However, when I go to a "new" river I always watch for vehicles parked along the way and stop to check out what is nearby. Also, don't overlook checking in with any bait shops in the area. Hopefully you will find your own secret spot and come back with a great report and some pics of your catch. Good fishing to you!

F
FishFinger
Dodge park is one location to keep on your radar, as we move towards Aug and Sept it's a great place to get your feet wet as the Coho begin to show.

S
sapo
It's actually not that crowded, went about 2 weeks ago and only a few people there. Oxbow and Dodge park are good, jigs worked ok when I was there.

S
Steeliekiller
Join the battle up at cedar creek hatchery, lots of great water and a good amount of fish. Good luck and tight lines

U
ulua
I usually fish above dodge park, the next hole above the garbage hole, you can hike it up, I've caught lots of fish there, its deep enough for nooks to pool up and an area of faster current for steel