Timothy 7/1/14

T
twout
With temperatures expected in the 90s I headed to the lake for the afternoon. I was surprised only a few people were hanging around and playing in the water at the boat ramp, was even more surprised at how many of them voluntarily moved out of the way when I backed down the ramp. Typically its the "deer in the headlight look", until I inform them I am launching the boat. Maybe they even read the big signs that indicate, No swimming or Fishing around boat dock! Another boater wanting to load up was not so patient and was visibly upset.

Water temp was 62 on the surface air temp 80 and a great breeze.
Started trolling right out of the gate along the west side. Nothing.
Talked to the first boat I passed, nothing. They had been there all day, it was 3:00.
Second boat had 5 they caught 5 or 6 hours earlier.
Headed back to the south side, moved out to the middle of the lake and started the troll, against the wind to slow down.
5 min. first take down, 15 mins later 5 th take down.
Reeled in checked hook, tip had broken off at some point and I never noticed, damn!
Continued on and released maybe 10 8in stockers lost maybe another 5. Kept one 12incher for dinner.
I switched out 4 different bead spinners to find what they wanted during the course of the day.
Marked fish all over the lake, 15ft down to 60ft.
When it gets slow on this lake, move out to the middle. When the weather gets hot, you can still catch fish.
Make sure if it ain't working here or it stops working, switch it out.
Enjoy your 4th July weekend. ja2u5aqa.jpghamybe9y.jpg

O
OrygunSon
Thanks for the update. I am planning on heading up in a week or two. Craving some crawfish and what better way to kill the soak time than dragging some spinners around.

M
michael_g
Sweet!

M
montym
I was there at Timothy last couple of nights, trouts there are suicidal right now. Yesterday, there was one tiny ping from the bell on my rod, I ignored it. 5 minutes later I pulled it in to go back to camp, and there was a trout hanging at the end. Happened to us a few times, fish ate the hook but there was hardly any sign of that.

All of us got our limits both the days, and for the first time in my life I even ended up releasing stocked trouts. I actually got so bugged that I cast out a pretty large hook, took 4 power eggs to float it, hoping to get a bigger one on the bigger hook and in a few minutes I had the smallest one of the day. Thankfully it was hooked on the lips and I could remove it easy, almost all others were gut hooked and I am practically out of small hooks at this moment from cutting all those line.

One lady in a boat caught the biggest I saw on a wedding ring and worms, but didn't see anyone else catch one on anything but power bait/eggs. I tried some spoons, spinners and crawfish tails, didn't get a bite on those.

I was fishing from the bank at the hoodview campground, with power eggs. Bit snaggy, do take lots of hooks and sinkers and stuff.

Had great fun teaching a couple of kids how to fish, they were getting skunked with worms on bobbers and power eggs came to rescue. We met there only, but today we were sharing my rods and it was fun to see the fun they had from landing a fish.

Crawdads are aplenty. Being bank bound, I think I was not able to put my trap at the choicest locations, got only 2 + 10 last two nights in the trap. However, last night I went out after darkness fell and caught half a bucketful with my hands. Hundreds of them right by the shore, you just need a torch and a bucket. I didn't know that they should not be kept in the water, most of them died before we could cook them. Life..

Love that place, have fun.

Cheers
Monty

T
twout
Way to go Monty, sounds like you had a real nice time there. Thanks for the report, Iam getting ready to pack the boat up and head up there for some fishing this evening for a few hours.

O
OrygunSon
Nice report Monty! I have a special place in my heart for that lake. Caught my first trout there at 3 years old! Set my trip for last week of July. Planning on pounding the craws and picking up a few trout to boot!

M
montym
I got my first trout at Timothy too, only I was 35 rather than 3;-)