Pudding River

S
sapo
I'm planning on heading out with my fly gear to a fairly accessible trout stream within about an hour. I was thinking the Pudding River, if anyone has any other suggestions please comment or pm me, I just want some fish! Tell me if you guys know any access points on the Pudding, and also if there are any other streams within an hour that are better just for trout. (uncrowded preferred).

I
igquick
sapo said:
I'm planning on heading out with my fly gear to a fairly accessible trout stream within about an hour. I was thinking the Pudding River, if anyone has any other suggestions please comment or pm me, I just want some fish! Tell me if you guys know any access points on the Pudding, and also if there are any other streams within an hour that are better just for trout. (uncrowded preferred).

Isn't the Pudding River a little to dingy to go fly fishing?

S
sapo
@igquick well its not a great river but the upper reaches have trout its fed by abiqua butte and silver which all have trout too. i just want to know a good trout river to go to, pudding seemed ok but asking if anyone knows any good trout streams around here

I
igquick
sapo said:
@igquick well its not a great river but the upper reaches have trout its fed by abiqua butte and silver which all have trout too. i just want to know a good trout river to go to, pudding seemed ok but asking if anyone knows any good trout streams around here

If I had a fly rod and I wanted to go trout fishing, there are small ones at Riverside County Park Clackamas

D
DrTheopolis
igquick said:
I wanted to go trout fishing, there are small ones at Riverside County Park Clackamas

Those are steelhead smolts.

Sapo, yet another place I haven't been in a long time (my habits seem to have changed, which I guess I didn't notice until I started BSing fishing here on OFF), but the very upper reaches of the Tualatin are pretty cool, and not that far from you. Up above Cherry Grove. I'm guessing you'd have it to yourself (and as always, I could be wrong, it's been a long time).

I
igquick
never knew that, I always wondered what those tiny little things that were jumping around but would not hit my small kastmaster

S
Seahawkfan
igquick said:
never knew that, I always wondered what those tiny little things that were jumping around but would not hit my small kastmaster

Your lucky you didn't get caught fishing for them. Don't want to be rude but you need to know what you are fishing for.

M
Modest_Man
Seahawkfan said:
Your lucky you didn't get caught fishing for them. Don't want to be rude but you need to know what you are fishing for.

It's perfectly legal to fish for them between the last Sunday in May and October 31st...

S
Seahawkfan
Modest_Man said:
It's perfectly legal to fish for them between the last Sunday in May and October 31st...

For steelhead smolt?

D
dozer365
If they haven't out migrated by trout season they are trout. Clipped fish. No min length. Over 20" considered steelehead. It may be 22". Need to check. If in doubt I just tag it. Trout and smoky are essentially the same and the clackamas does actually have "trout" in it. The higher u go the more u will find. they don't stock it. But it gets plenty of spill over and wash down fish. When u catch 12-16" colored up "smolt" in sept- Oct. It makes a guy think maybe they are trout..... That being said...
Please target trout in system with stockers. If we hit native trout too hard. We could very well ruin our future steelhead stocks. I mean if your inclined to bieleve Russian environmental scientist.

M
Modest_Man
Seahawkfan said:
For steelhead smolt?

Yep. ODFW has regulations at 8" fish minimum, 2 per day. No way to distinguish resident trout from juvenile steelhead (there won't be any smolts around right now). The term you mean is parr. The reason we can't trout fish in rivers and streams until the end of May is to give the smolts time to out-migrate.

D
DrTheopolis
Modest_Man said:
The term you mean is parr.

Absolutely my bad. I was looking for "parr," and I actually know better.