Best shot at browns?

S
Steeliekiller
I'm very interested in chasing some browns, as I've yet to get into any on the bug stick, or any stick really. Just not too sure where my best shot will be. Any help would be awesome! Thanks guys

D
DrTheopolis
Caught one in my life, which was at East Lake.

You've now exhausted my knowledge of browns.

T
troutmasta
There are some nice ones at Harriet lake on mt Hood. *

*(no need for the fish handling remaks, I ate this guy for dinner. Thats right I ate him. He was gut hooked with a mill worm. The one brown I kept in my life)

Last edited by a moderator:
S
Steeliekiller
Dang!!! Nice fish fur shurley. Was that on the fly? I've chased for them on the D a little bit and the met once, but came out with nice fatty trout instead which I'm not complaining, I'm doing something right :) thanks again

S
Socaaron
Depends I guess with where you're located. Can't beat those Eastern oregon browns for quantity and there's some monsters if you're willing to drive south, but most of those are more than a single day trip.
I would say for guaranteed, look at Round lake on the south side of Hood(hint hint.. Fishing In Oregon).
Due to a slide some years back it's a rather round about trip but can easily be done in a day from the Portland metro or Salem area(through Detroit).
I went two weeks ago and pretty much had the lake to myself(some fly tossers showed up later..lol).
Beautiful drive and a great little lake that doesn't see much pressure. If you're gonna try on the fly I highly recommend a float tube or raft of some sort.

D
DrTheopolis
troutmasta said:
*(no need for the fish handling remaks, I ate this guy for dinner. Thats right I ate him. He was gut hooked with a mill worm. The one brown I kept in my life)

Apologizing for killing a non-native fish?

S
Steeliekiller
Thanks socaaron, i believe I've been to round lake as a youngster with my pops and being I live in lyons its not to far out of the way for a shot at some browns. I'll definitely give it a shot this summer in the toon or float tube. Hitting the D this weekend.

S
steelhead_slayer
I could probably show you some spots that would give you a good chance once i'm not so busy

S
Steeliekiller
That would be awesome. Im always down to do some fishing. Thanks steelhead

S
steelhead_slayer
Unfortunately I have a month or two of being very busy left

O
OnTheFly
DrTheopolis said:
No need for apologies but if those browns are set free they will get to be good size like they were years ago before people kept them.

T
troutmasta
DrTheopolis said:

well kind of,

most assume that the Browns are all C&Rd but I ate this fella (I dont often eat trout but he was done fir),

so, for those assuming a release was next, an explanation of the thumb in the gills and the chain hanging from the jaw was in order.

But anyhoot, the browns are in there, all over. I just catch the majority near the grass.

D
DrTheopolis
I'm mixed on it. On the one hand, it's not native to this hemisphere. On the other, at Newberry, they're not really a threat to spread anywhere else, and aren't any sort of environmental threat, and make for a nice fishery.

So, I guess that makes it up to the individual. And if it's a bleeder, it becomes a no-brainer.

D
DYJ
They're good eating. I think you can catch em in just about any Cascade Lake. Cast in by debris on the bank. We had a couple great days at Crescent giving up on Kokes and targeting the Browns.

T
timmay
East Lake and the owyhee

S
Steeliekiller
Great colors! Bet it was a scrapper.

T
timmay
indeed he had great colors, pictures don't do it justice really. he went for a soft hackle wet and was hunkered down in a small pocket at the base of a riffle.

S
Steeliekiller
Thanks for the great tips. Might be heading east for a fly trip with a couple buddies and the toons this weekend. Wikieup is where they want to head.

B
brookie47
Obsession video on you tube

Obsession video on you tube

Steeliekiller said:
Thanks for the great tips. Might be heading east for a fly trip with a couple buddies and the toons this weekend. Wikieup is where they want to head.

I just watched a video called obsession on you tube. All about fishing for browns in Oregon. Amazing!!! Check it out.

I
IPAbrewer1014
brookie47 said:
Steeliekiller said:

I just watched a video called obsession on you tube. All about fishing for browns in Oregon. Amazing!!! Check it out.

That is a video made by some guys I know from Bend. They always have amazing photos and videos on their facebook page as well! If interested search "mountain made media" on Facebook and check out there other outdoor adventures!