Alsea help

Y
yellowjacket
Doesn't the tree farm opposite Clemmons have pay to fish, like $5 per vehicle? The tree farm has more bank access as the park has a lot of straight drop offs that you can't safely get to the water.

R
RunWithSasquatch
yellowjacket said:
Doesn't the tree farm opposite Clemmons have pay to fish, like $5 per vehicle? The tree farm has more bank access as the park has a lot of straight drop offs that you can't safely get to the water.

Yeah, you can pay to play over there. There is some different access to holes you can't fish Clemens from. Though some holes are fished from both sides and it can be over whelming with 20 rigs parked at Clemens, and 15 through the field.

brandon4455
brandon4455
any idea when the fish will start showing up in the drift creek or the hatchery area? i am clueless as to the run tim on this river, a family member told me to start fishing the alsea in january thats all i know LOL

Y
yellowjacket
Mid Dec through Jan

Mid Dec through Jan

brandon4455 said:
any idea when the fish will start showing up in the drift creek or the hatchery area? i am clueless as to the run tim on this river, a family member told me to start fishing the alsea in january thats all i know LOL

Saw a chart on the info board in the parking lot that had multiple years, mid Dec through end of January numbers were consistently the highest then drop OFF rapidly.

Y
yellowjacket
Definitely Combat Zone

Definitely Combat Zone

yeah, definitely combat fishing like the other hatchery /fish trap areas, not my cup'o'tea. The one upside is no boats in that area, so bankies don't have boats anchoring directly in front of them, between the bank & the drift they were fishing first. Seen that BS multiple times at multiple locations.:protest:

troutdude
troutdude
Wait until January...LOL!

The runs should be starting now. My dad (and me too, many times) used to hit it the day after Thanksgiving...or, sometimes after we recouped from our turkey n' gravy!

R
RunWithSasquatch
I sent you a big PM Brandon.

Y
yellowjacket
Water Levels

Water Levels

troutdude said:
Wait until January...LOL!

The runs should be starting now. My dad (and me too, many times) used to hit it the day after Thanksgiving...or, sometimes after we recouped from our turkey n' gravy!

Water has been a trickle as JeannaJigs posted earlier. One river side discussion with someone in the know gave me the info that the river fishes best between 4-6' and 1100-1300 cfs, this week's rain has just now made those numbers.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&period=14&site_no=14306500
Also unless you are one of the fortunate few who only have a short drive with $4 a gallon gas, calling the hatchery to see if they are getting fish in the trap is a good bet, they can also tell you water levels clarity etc. May have to leave a message then wait till they get a break to get a call back.

Address and Phone

Alsea River Hatchery
29050 Fish Hatchery Road
Alsea, OR 97324
(541) 487-7240
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/visitors/alsea_hatchery.asp
Time to start tying rigs & twisting spinners:cool:

brandon4455
brandon4455
RunWithSasquatch said:
I sent you a big PM Brandon.

i know my objective now :lol:

Y
yellowjacket
Alses Fish Counts - 19 Yrs

Alses Fish Counts - 19 Yrs

yellowjacket said:
Water has been a trickle as JeannaJigs posted earlier. One river side discussion with someone in the know gave me the info that the river fishes best between 4-6' and 1100-1300 cfs, this week's rain has just now made those numbers.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv...te_no=14306500
Also unless you are one of the fortunate few who only have a short drive with $4 a gallon gas, calling the hatchery to see if they are getting fish in the trap is a good bet, they can also tell you water levels clarity etc. May have to leave a message then wait till they get a break to get a call back.

Address and Phone

Alsea River Hatchery
29050 Fish Hatchery Road
Alsea, OR 97324
(541) 487-7240
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...a_hatchery.asp
Time to start tying rigs & twisting spinners:cool:

Fish Count Table Dec-1 2011 5 in lower trap 3 in upper trap 3 caught (known) 2 in meat hole -at hatchery 1 at Clemens at parking lot bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
J
JeannaJigs
What the hell happened in 2002!!!

F
flipper
Was wondering the same thing! Wish I was fishing out there during that run!

K
Kevinb5688
The rain helped, as of 1/10/12 its way low and clear and slowing down a lot.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
If there's a house nearby, I'd go knock on the door. Or...if there are tree harvesters out doing their thing...maybe ask them. They could at least point you to their supervisor who may know.

F
flytrekker1007
I have fished the tree farm a few times. there is a really old two story house down the road, its right off the road that you pay at. its like 4 bucks.

Y
yellowjacket
Fish Count 1-10-12

Fish Count 1-10-12

yellowjacket said:
Fish Count Table Dec-1 2011 5 in lower trap 3 in upper trap 3 caught (known) 2 in meat hole -at hatchery 1 at Clemens at parking lot bridge.

Mat at the hatchery said a big flush came in after the flood & the weekend was busy. Timing is everything on the Alsea, fish come in flushes not in a steady flow. Park /hatchery area slow (very!!) -fish being caught well downstream of Mill Creek. Mat figures the big flush were the fish that would normally come in Dec. if rain & river flows had been "normal". The Fish Count Hotline is being updated regularly as Matt e-mails up the new numbers. Hotline 541-487-5524
Tightlines!

Last edited by a moderator: