Best places to fish (first week of July)

G
gregoryt40
Hello,

I will be traveling to Olympic National Park and Oregon beginning on July 1 for 7 days. I will be bringing my 5 lb fly rod but am also looking to hire a guide for 1 day.

The places I will be traveling are as follows

- Crescent Lake
- Hoh Rainforest
- Kalaloch
- Astoria
- Portland
- Mt Hood

If you have any adgice as to bodies of water near the aforementioned locations or fishing techniques that would work well, please let me know.

Also, where should I hire a guide to maximize the size/number of fish for this type of year? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

E
eugene1
Where are you coming from?

G
gregoryt40
I will be coming from Seattle but I am from the Twin Cities in Minnesota.

T
Throbbit _Shane
It really depends on what you want to fish for. You could hire a guide for sturgeon, salmon, steelhead, trout. Go explore some areas yourself and catch trout, bass, and carp.

If it were me id head to the Umpqua River and fish for Small Mouth Bass, some real fun fishing can be had down there that time of year. Good luck.

G
gregoryt40
Appreciate the advice.

I do quite a bit of small mouth bass fishing in Minnesota and am looking to do more trout, salmon and sturgeon fishing. Was thinking about hiring a guide out of Astoria to go either salmon or sturgeon fishing. Does anyone have a preference?

Also, would it be worth hiring a guide to go salmon or trout fishing in Olympic National Park or is this the wrong time of year?

J
JonT
The springer salmon run has died off a bit. Summer steelhead is getting started - they are trickling in. Look at Washington and Oregon lakes trout stocking schedules to get a better idea of where to trout fish successfully in stillwater. Like Throbbit_Shane said, the best bet right now is smallies - they are on fire in most rivers, including the Columbia banks.

E
eugene1
Oversize sturgeon should be pretty in Astoria. Ocean chinook should be pretty good up and down the coast of both states by then as well. Summer steelhead would be a solid pick as well on the Columbia river: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/summer_steelhead.asp

I would suggest to get a guide for any of the above, they will give you a decent shot at catching.

Good luck,