Where to go for the free fishing weekend near Portland

S
spg
I have just arrived in Portland and realised that this is the free fishing weekend! Since I only have Sunday, and a trout/bass rod with 6lb line, where would you recommend I go where I will have a halfway chance of a decent fish?

Current location: NE Portland

Edit: Currently thinking Blue Lake Park, as that gives the wife something to do as well, and I can check out the Columbia River as well.

E
eugene1
Clackamas or Sandy rivers for summer steel?

S
spg
I have mainly bass plastic baits with me, along with a couple of silver rapalas, and some small mepps style lures. Some steelhead sounds awesome, and I assume that the rapalas would be fine for them (but probably not in a fast flowing river). Would Cross Memorial Park be suitable?

E
eugene1
Not familiar with that park, but if you got some pink bass worms, they'll fish all up and down those rivers!

Best,

spg said:
I have mainly bass plastic baits with me, along with a couple of silver rapalas, and some small mepps style lures. Some steelhead sounds awesome, and I assume that the rapalas would be fine for them (but probably not in a fast flowing river). Would Cross Memorial Park be suitable?

S
scarekrow
You can also go up to Bonneville and fish for shad.
I may be wrong, but you may still need a tag for salmon even if you don't need a license.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
spg said:
Cross park on the Clack? Yes, there are fish there. Spinners or spoons would be a good investmnet. Drop $6.00 on two cleo spoons. Go at sunset or rise.

scarekrow said:
I may be wrong, but you may still need a tag for salmon even if you don't need a license.

He's all good. Folks with tags are just 'encouraged' to use them.

S
spg
Thanks! Previously I have used a zebra toby (black/brass) lure for trout and a silver Zed spinner for salmon, in the 28g/1oz(?) range. Is that the sort of thing to get?

I figure I could start at Blue Lake, then the Columbia/Sandy near Troutdale, then maybe the Clackamas in the evening.

T
Toyracer38
Was told today, by a fish checker, that I didn't have to tag my steelhead during free fishing weekend. Of course after I already had.

T
troutmasta
PM sent

S
spg
Thanks all!

S
spg
Well, no fish caught but it was a great day to be out!

E
eugene1
Hopefully next time!

Best,