Carp rods make beautiful all-around salmon rods

D
Drew9870
Ever since getting my Chub Outkast Carp rod in Jan of 2010, I have found many uses for it. At first glance, one would think it is a perfect surf rod, well perfect it is, if one knows the secrets of distance casting, you can send a 3-4oz about 140yds easy with full power, these rods are meant to be loaded up for a distance cast, they actually go by LB Test Curve not action, a 3.75lb Test Curve rod would be a very heavy action, I use a 2.75lb TC but wish I invested in a 3.00lb TC which is more capable of sending up to 5oz at full power. I also use it for tossing jigs off the jetty for lings (if I can access the waters edge), and tossing jigs/plugs for Seabass.

As for Salmon uses, I couldn't ask for a better float rod, I'll chuck a 2oz float with weight + bait to Hong Kong, usually use my normal Carp spool with the 50lb PowerPro for this application (plan on respooling 65lb braid for bigger Carp and Salmon).
Plunking, a 3.50lb TC would be a nice Plunking rod, I wouldn't hesitate to flick a 10-12oz weight since one generally doesn't need to cast far to plunk in most areas, I can gently lob a 8oz + bait with my 2.75lb TC, I use my extra spool with 30lb mono for plunking, people tell me it's overkill :lol:, better safe than sorry.
Tossing hardware, it is different tossing hardware with a 12ft rod, but it works, I won't toss smaller than a #5 Blue Fox unless I am setup with a pencil lead, usually use the 30lb mono unless I need a little extra casting distance from the 50lb braid.

The European style Carp rods are very different than any rod most of us have seen, an all around Carp rod is 12ft, the handle behind/below the reel is about 21'' long, which serves for extra leverage for distance casting, my Chub rod doesn't have a butt cap with a bigger diameter than the handle itself, so I can just stab it into the sand or dirt if I get tired of holding it :lol:.

If you are interested in picking one up, I do my European tackle shopping through BigCarpTackle.com, but I happened to get my rod through ResistanceTackle.com before I knew of BCT. Great makers of Euro gear are Saxon, Chub, Fox, and Greys, if I had the money, my choice would be a high end Saxon or Greys, Fox would be last in line. Spod rods are the top dog for heavy Carp rods, not designed to fish with, but to actually cast a rocket shaped basket full of chum (up to 2+lbs loaded) with full power, so this could possibly also be a good Sturgeon rod for bank fishermen.

Feel free to ask questions, whether interested or just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
D
Drew9870
For those who might wonder, LB Test Curve is a measurement for how much weight it takes to bring the tip to a 90 degree angle from the butt of the rod, Chubs rods are known for well exceeding their LB Test Rating without breakage, Chub serves a lifetime warranty on their rods, my rod has a slight chip in the top eye insert, and it is also dirty from all the eggs, Herring, and other poo bait :(, I might be due for a new one :lol:.

D
Drew9870
One more thing :D.

Metal end cap, Carbon Fiber wrapped handle w/ EVA foam leverage handle, and of course, ceramic eye inserts.

Last edited by a moderator:
A
alseaalumaweld
think all stick with lamiglas

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
alseaalumaweld said:
think all stick with lamiglas

hahahaha You guys are lame.

I would love that rod, personally. I might have to hit you up for some plunking sometime Drew!

A
alseaalumaweld
can't fish with confidence with out lamiglas :)

troutdude
troutdude
Lamiglas is way over rated. And they do NOT hold to their "lifetime" warranty. It's a bunch of B.S.

Now let's stay on topic, eh?

A
alseaalumaweld
warranty has been great to me. but yes lets stay on topic here

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
:D

Thanks guys.

A
alseaalumaweld
long distance boober dobbin 140 yard cast just think of it now :)

D
Drew9870
alseaalumaweld said:
long distance boober dobbin 140 yard cast just think of it now :)

Think of it :think:???

Watch it!!!

I'm sure we aren't going to need any long distance casting being that I posted this in the Salmon Thread, if you are looking for distance, it would be wise to invest in a 'Big Pit' Reel to match the rod, the wider spools provide more surface area for the line to run off of providing less friction on the way out of the spool, allowing longer casts.

Maybe Carp rods and Carp rod threads just weren't meant for you :).

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Boy, I'd sure get my self in trouble on the Alsea with one of those.

D
Drew9870
If I go bank fishing for Salmon, there is no doubt I will be packing that rod lol, I've caught Steelhead on the thing, even the Catfish in my pic.

A
alseaalumaweld
rws we need 2! trolling with them we would have 30 feet of the river to are selfs

R
RunWithSasquatch
alseaalumaweld said:
rws we need 2! trolling with them we would have 30 feet of the river to are selfs

haha, theres places i dont think we'd fit..

D
Drew9870
Oops.

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Seems the would be good for everything BUT trolling.

A
alseaalumaweld
where do you get them! im order 2 up keep them flatlanders away from my boat!

A
alseaalumaweld
mite get tricky when your rods the same size as your boat?

D
Drew9870
I'm up for the plunking trip.

Last edited: