Carp on a spoon?!

S
steelyscout5
I was fishing up at McIver yesterday and hooked into what I thought was a small steelhead or a big rainbow... Turns out a carp came up and took my 3/4 oz. spoon? I was in shock when I banked it... Has anybody run across this?

B
Big3d
I had that happen at the mouth of the tualatin. I was trying out the coho fishing last year and a carp sucked the spoon off the topwater before it ever fell. Never seen it before, haven't since. Pretty cool huh? I was using a much smaller spoon, i think it confused it for a minnow. Guess that'd be the idea anyhow. Congrats on your carp, sorry it wasn't steel

C
ChezJfrey
I'm thinking it may have been a large scale sucker because they look very similar.

Both me and a buddy have had a couple take a spoon in the past. It doesn't happen often, but they do seem to take a spoon every once in awhile.

troutdude
troutdude
I've caught carp, fishing for smallie's on the Long Tom, on surface chuggers/poppers. So, going for a spoon is not surprising.

O
OnTheDrop
ChezJfrey said:
I'm thinking it may have been a large scale sucker because they look very similar.

Both me and a buddy have had a couple take a spoon in the past. It doesn't happen often, but they do seem to take a spoon every once in awhile.

Ding ding ding. You won't be finding carp up at Mciver. There's a few kinds of suckers in the clack and they all hit just about anything you can throw out...

S
steelyscout5
Oh okay that makes sense, either way a pretty nasty fish.. but still a decent fight

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
I have hooked carp ( not suckers ) on a spinner as well as a small crankbait and even a shad dart . Like a catfish they can surprise you from time to time . FYI easiest way to quickly tell if it is a carp vs. squawfish , chubs , suckers etc. is to look at his scales . They are very large and extremely tough compared to the other species .

T.F.

K
Kookaburra
In my homecountry germany fishing for carp is very popular. Normal carps wont go for spoons. I know plenty of fishermen and fishing newspaper but never heard something comparable. Maybe by coincidence like T.F. described. But for suckerfish its pretty normal. I caught a lot of suckerfish in small rivers by myself using spinners. There is also a famous species from asia (german Graskarpfen - i dont know the translation. Maybe some kind of silver carp) that might be caught by spoons/spinner. I saw some comparable fish on a documentary (Mississippi river?).

I caught a 52 Lbs carp during fishing for big catfish. That was pretty amazing :)

D
DrTheopolis
I'll go with a largescale sucker -- very common in the Clack, whereas carp are not (except near the mouth).

I've caught tons of them on spinners, and last year caught a huge one backtrolling a Kwikfish.