First time to Trask

B
BaldTexan
Hello,

Recently moved to Oregon from the south and new to salmon/steelhead fishing. Spent most of my life fishing for large mouth bass and other warm water fish. I was told to try Wilson and Trask rivers for salmon and to use bobbers and shrimp/egg combo so I'm heading down to Trask tomorrow morning for a few hours to check it out and try my luck. Live shrimp?..or does it matter? Anyone gonna be fishing down that way tomorrow morning so I can pick your brain? Any advice is welcome. First time to the NW so everything is a new experience to try and master but top of my list is salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon.

E
eugene1
Most people will use live (or half alive) sand shrimp for those combos. Eggs by themselves also produce, as will a jig under your float.

Welcome to Oregon and the forum. Where are you located in OR?

Good luck,

M
Modest_Man
Head to Loren's drift and do what all the other people are doing!

T
troutmasta
I've been fishing the Trask a lot lately. You'll want to run a sandshrimp salmon egg combo. I would throw a piece of tuna belly or sardine on as well. Get live fresh shrimp in the morning in tillimook. Fish Laurens drift or the hatchery. Good luck.

B
BaldTexan
I'm on Bald Peak in Hillsboro. Thanks for the info guys. Where an I get live shrimp in Tillamook? Not familiar with the town.

T
troutmasta
Tillamook Sporting Goods you could just go in there and ask them to help you get the stuff to set up a salmon cocktail for bobber fishing the trask and they would set you up. some of our members even work there.

B
BaldTexan
Cool. Thanks. Any tips on rigging as far as how much weight and how deep?

E
eugene1
I'm not sure on specifics, but the guys at Tillamook sporting will hook you up with the intel if it comes to that. I usually consider a first trip to an area a learning trip and just really try to see what the other folks are using for bait/lures and where they are fishing. Talking with fellow anglers on the water is the best source of real time information.

Best,

BaldTexan said:
Cool. Thanks. Any tips on rigging as far as how much weight and how deep?

B
BaldTexan
Pretty much all my trips this first year will be learning experiences. I just like to have enough gear when I get there...like whether to use spin and glows with bait and bobbers, size of hooks to use, etc. I hate being under geared!

T
Toyracer38
Welcome aboard BaldTexan! No you won't need spin n glo's for bobber and bait. Talk to the folks at Tillamook Sporting Goods, they will help you get set up. Basic rule if your not sure of the depth of the water your fishing, is to start shallow, make a drift, if it floats through fine, raise your bobber 6 inches and drift it again. Keep doing this until you start dragging bottom, or you get into fish. If dragging bottom, lower your bobber back down 6 inches. Be ready for a heck of a battle! :yikes: Good luck!

B
BaldTexan
Sounds easy! Lol. Thanks for the tips everybody. Looking forward to it. Always love getting into a new to me fish!

W
waco
Hey Bald Texan I'm the one who works at the Tillamook Sporting Goods however I'm OFF tomorrow I will be fishing. Anyways the Trask has been good to people, lots of fish been caught there everyday but a lot of people too, anglers are fishing shoulder to shoulder, but has been really good!!!!!
Just please watch out where you cast try not to cross other peoples lines and just go with the flow, bobber and eggs or sandshrimp or both and you can add some tuna belly.
just a reminder of some special regulations in this area, from Cedar creek boat ramp to Lorens Drift is bobber and fly fishing only!!
Good luck out there and I hope this helps!!

B
BaldTexan
Thanks. I've been trying to keep up with the regs every different place I fish. Good lord! Ya'll got a lot of different regs here! Gonna fish Trask early then go visit some friends on the beach in the afternoon and try my luck at surf fishing for surfperch. Another fish I've never fished for! It'll be fun and a learning experience.

W
waco
Sea Bass is fun too. Just use a Carolina rig with a 1oz egg sinker and a 4" chartreuse twister tale!! and fish the same way you would for fresh water Bass

B
BaldTexan
waco said:
Sea Bass is fun too. Just use a Carolina rig with a 1oz egg sinker and a 4" chartreuse twister tale!! and fish the same way you would for fresh water Bass

In the surf? Cool. I have all that tackle!

So how do I get to this Loren's Drift spot? Is that down from Lorens Pond? Is one side of the river more accessible than the other?

W
waco
on the jetty or any rocky area.
Lorens drift is the sama area as lorens pond.

B
BaldTexan
Great. Thanks Waco. Gonna be a blast.

B
BaldTexan
Well that was a learning experience for sure. Arrived at Lorens Drift about 5 am. It was packed and everybody was casting away. Synchronized chaos! I realized quickly that I was undergeared but there was no more room anyway. Saw 6 fish landed in about 45 minutes. Spoke with a couple of friendly locals and they showed how to rig for that hole. Went to Tillamook SPorting Goods and bought larger bobbers, weights, and hooks and got up early and got a good spot for Saturday. In 2 1/2 hours not a single bobber went down! Bummer. Thats the way it goes! Some days they just aren't gonna take the bait. Next time! Thanks for all the info guys.

C
ChezJfrey
BaldTexan said:
Saw 6 fish landed in about 45 minutes... Went to Tillamook SPorting Goods and bought larger bobbers, weights, and hooks and got up early and got a good spot for Saturday. In 2 1/2 hours not a single bobber went down! Bummer. Thats the way it goes! Some days they just aren't gonna take the bait. Next time!

Tell me about it. Went steelheading on Sat. and hooked a fish, saw another guy hook one. Two buddies hooked one apiece...great day. Went again the next day, same holes and nothing! LOL

Welcome to Oregon and keep at it...you'll get 'em!

B
BaldTexan
Oh I don't give up that easy. The same thing would happen in Texas. Go out and pre-fish before a bass tourney and just slay 'em all day. Fish the tourney the next day and only catch 2 or 3! I'll keep flogging the water until I get 'em on the right day.