Trout fishing at Big Creek Res.

L
L.A. trout guy
I just found this Forum yesterday and was pleased to see how friendly and informative the environment is. I lived in the Newport area for about 30 years before moving down here to Southern California. With that move I gave up fishing for about 25 years. I am driving up to Newport this weekend and will be fishing out at Big Creek Res. and I am wondering what baits or lures might be working this time of the year. I haven't fished here since the early 80's and it appears that trout fishing in general has changed considerably. The last time I fished there a worm and marsh mellow were pretty consistent. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

E
eugene1
Never fished there myself, but another option for fishing on your trip is an ocean charter. Newport is one of the best ports on the OR coast for various species of bottom fish and ocean salmon.

Let us know how your trip goes?

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Best way to catch them at Big Creek Res. is a sliding weight on your main line then tie a swivel so the weight can't slide onto your leder, 3-5 foot long 4 pound leder (how every you spell it), then tie a single hook to the end of your leder with a green, orange, or chartruse power egg. I hope that makes sense I tried to describe it as best I could but that's the set up I use and if the fish are there you'll catch them I promise.

As for lures a blue and silver kasmaster should do the trick, or a black and yellow spotted panther martin

L
L.A. trout guy
We fished fri. evening and caught 4 nice fish. We went fishing for 5 hours on saturday and caught 11. Went fishing early sunday morning and caught 4 nice fish in 10 minutes. On friday inflated crawlers were king. On saturday the crawlers cooled off and lemon/lime power eggs heated up. on sunday it didn't matter, power eggs (lemon/lime) and the bubblegum colored mice tails w/white egg on top was red hot. We fish ultra-light using 2# test and #8 mosquito hooks, no swivel. As my wife was landing her 4th fish she slipped and went down breaking her leg in 2 places on sunday morning. That was the end of the fishing and the start of a new adventure. We flew back to l.a. and i got her an appt. with one of the top Orthopedic Surgeons in town to take her case. He is operating on her now.

E
eugene1
Sorry to hear about your wife's broken leg, but at least you got to catch some fish.

Take care,

L
L.A. trout guy
Thanks Trout Killer. Those were great tips. The basic setup appears not to have changed much. I did a bunch of research, before we went, and dug up the bubblegum mice tails. I use a bobber stop instead of a swivel to hold the egg weight at the proper location so there are no knots or extra weight on my string. I am teaching my wife to open her bail first instead of setting the hook right away, she's getting the idea. We catch and release so there are fish for the next anglers to trick. :)

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
No problem I love helping a fellow fisherman out any time I can

L
L.A. trout guy
Big Creek Res.

Big Creek Res.

eugene1 said:
Sorry to hear about your wife's broken leg, but at least you got to catch some fish.

Take care,
The fishing appears to be red hot - early. The first thing that my wife asked while we were in the Emergency Room in Newport was if she was going to be able to go fishing next weekend.

E
eugene1
That's priceless! She sounds like a trooper.

Hope you can get back to OR and "finish" your trip soon. Plenty of fishing opportunity in the golden state as well.

Best,

L.A. trout guy said:
The fishing appears to be red hot - early. The first thing that my wife asked while we were in the Emergency Room in Newport was if she was going to be able to go fishing next weekend.

L
L.A. trout guy
IMG_1862[1].jpg

The winning combination last weekend. Don't forget the Mike's....

Reactions: eugene1
C
coyo7e
L.A. trout guy said:
ODFW (and I assume the CA equivalent) goes out of their way to stock areas which are accessible for kids and people who may not be able to walk far or on rough surfaces, so she can probably go although borrowing a wheelchair (and putting on the breaks before she sets the hook!) would probably be the most prudent.