2014 salmonfly quest

J
jimmy
went down to my spot looking for some top water action last week, saw folks still nymphin' and learned 'the bigger fish don't take drys'. . . . bad for me as I leave all my nymph gear at home this time of year, I gave it a shot anyway.

pics:

the spot
01camp_zpsb97edfa5.jpg

the bugs
02bugs_zps12e592ea.jpg

tried some norms
03norm_zpsbf06801c.jpg

threw out some of my big black and tans
04underwater_zps1209f8b9.jpg

even tried "FlyBum's" chubby that came in the last fly swap
05flybum_zps2ea58251.jpg

I normally don't like foam flys but I kept an open mind and got out the vice
06hula1_zps82ed3a98.jpg

cheyrnoble or chubby? It kind of looked like a 'hula girl' from the top, so thats what I named mine
07huyla2_zps5a1e2906.jpg

the fish dug 'em
08hula3_zps5c843b89.jpg

got some bucks, got some hens, some bright, some showing color
09genes_zps9ed4bcd0.jpg

since I keep hearing 'there's no such thing as a 20" fish in the D", I added an orange stripe on my stick so I would stop exaggerating
10point_zpscfa040a1.jpg

brought the net with numbers on it too,
1110x8_zpsd5a4708f.jpg

1211x10_zpse8e95dd3.jpg

and my little camp buddy this time around, about 6", too young to make any noise with his single button. He spent the night in a tote and was driven up the road away from camp so he wouldn't end up stepped on or killed with a rock. (sadly the latter is most likely)
13snake_zps30da6fc9.jpg

Over all report: weather was hot, cold, windy, still, sunny and rainy. Lots of fish, some big, some average, some small, and no annoying whitefish. The usual for this time of year. . .

I think nymphing is the way to go and everyone should stick with weighted patterns and thing-a-ma-bobbers. Always wade at least waist deep and walk as much as possible.

till next time,

~Jimmy~

Reactions: OnTheFly and C_Run
Admin
Admin
Thanks for a great report! After reading it I feel like I just watched a film on National Geographic. Where is a picture of a man, holding his catch? It needs to be featured.

E
eugene1
That's a great time, jimmy!

Great looking fish,

S
steelhead_slayer
Its too bad the big ones don't take dries:). Nice fish! Such a fun time of the year

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ah, Jimmy you are the Master over there! :worthy: Thanks for sharing the report and the pics. :peace:

B
bagold53
Thanks for the info. Supposed to go over in that general vicinity later this week. congrats on the many fishes and saving a poor Rattler from the rock

J
JonT
The big ones don't take anything, in my experience. Nice report. Wish I could've met up with you, but work sucks.

O
OnTheFly
Yeah jimmy, dredging them out with nymphs and thing-a-ma-bobbers is the ticket. To bad you you went with dries. When will you ever learn?

Great fish! Hope the ones you missed will have calmed down by the time I get there this weekend.

W
waco
Great report Jimmy, I need to go back there someday!! Thanks for the pics, are awesome!!

J
jimmy
Anatoliy said:
Where is a picture of a man, holding his catch?

<------ right there :thumb:

I'm still on the hunt for a full time photographic intern.....

till then I try my best to keep the fish in the water and not do much posing.

I'll work on it though... means I'll have to get back so I can get the photo and post it up.

thanks for the comments folks, it was fun.

~Jimmy~

B
bigsteel
sweeeeeeeeet report as always jimmy,the master of the salmonfly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are gonna have to fish together again soon

M
Modest_Man
I was out there Friday through Monday. Lots of people. Mostly recreational rafters. Plenty of fish. Probably not going to float it during Memorial Day weekend ever again though. Lots of rattlesnakes (we saw/heard four) but the least amount of ticks I've ever encountered.

L
lilsalmon
Great report, Jimmy! Unfortunately, we didn't make it over to your camp on Friday. I felt I would be abandoning Jeanna if I left her there. We hung out to make sure that her parents arrived and by that time decided that it was too late to head your way. Raincheck? At least we waved as we drifted past your camp. I got into the biggest fish I ever have on the D. And, while there weren't a lot, the size and and visuals were enough for me. I love the sound the reel makes when a fish takes off for the middle of the river. I also found that dries don't work...foamy ones either. I have to admit I got a couple on a nymph when things got slow.......no whitefish either.

F
FlyBum
Like a boss!!!

J
JeannaJigs
Great report. Someday..I might write up a report of my trip that week....but it ended badly...and the day I got back I became ill, and have been battling pneumonia and strep throat ever since...spent a solid 7 days in bed without eating anything...starting to feel human again...slowly. We had a good day floating the 22nd, I'm sorry we didn't meet up with you friday as planned, but we did wave lol...The stars aligned to conspire against me, we were hanging out at the warm springs boat ramp until about 10 pm though, we weren't too far away, the starter fried in the Jeep. Maybe next year will be my year?

R
Richard W T
Nice pics!